jsharkey

Well Known Member
Any suggestions on stripping the outer sheath from multi cored cables without nicking the insulation of the individual wires. I'm thinking about servo motor cables etc.
Jim Sharkey

Jim,
If the outside is not completely round, then my technique is to bend it where I want to cut it about 30 degrees and let the exacto or what ever start the cut. The tension of the bend tears the rest and that way the blade does not get close to the wires. As I lay or press the blade on the wire, Ill increase the tension on the bend to help it along.

Usually takes 4 turns of the wire to complete w/o hitting anything inside. Often the cuts are not all the way through and it requires me to pull/tear as I pull, the outter insulation off.

If its round, well a nice pair of strippers. Ive always had good luck with these.

Here is a technique I have had good results with.

Warning-----you need extra length to do this, dont cut wire to size first.

I just get the outer sheath cut open however I can, strip off 2-3".

Then grab one of the wires, and use it to tear through the outer covering, (pulling it back away from the cut end) down as far as needed. Lastly, trim off the excess outer layer.

The advantage here is that no cutting tool has a chance to nick the tiny wires inside------yes, you will waste a few inches, but that is a price I am willing to pay.

Try it on some scrap first, to get the hang of it.

Remember the old oatmeal boxes you opened with a string, or china pencils???? Same idea.