USCANAM

Well Known Member
Here's the cabin rudder lock we came up with for our RV9A.
Many times when landing for a short stay at another airport, you cannot park into the wind, especially going to Martha's Vineyard for lunch where you always have to park facing southwest at the main airport.
I found that the rudder/vertical stabilizer setup doesn't lend well to an external rudder lock, so we designed this unit which takes about 5 seconds to install and remove.

By USCANAM
Here you see the unit attached to the passenger right and left rudder pedals by slots that are cut in the sides of the unit. They slide over the spacers.

By USCANAM
Here's where the unit attaches to the sheet metal in front of the main spar.

By USCANAM
Here's a view looking down, and the locking pin.
To install, the two hooks fit around the spacer on the rudder pedals.
Then, at the other end, the slot in the tube slides over and up the angle until the rod is tight, then put in the lock pin.
We might paint the unit red, but we do have a "Remove Before Flight" ribbon coming. However, you'd have to be really unaware (dumb) to even taxi with the lock in place.
I wouldn't want to use this as a rudder lock if the plane lived outside all the time, but for short use, it works great.
I'd be happy to take more detailed pictures if needed.
Jack

Last edited:
I found that the rudder/vertical stabilizer setup doesn't lend well to an external rudder lock,

There is more than one way to skin the cat, and if you like your setup, then by all means, but there IS a simple and effective way to externally lock the rudder.

If you drill paired holes in the rudder stops, and install front to rear pins on both sides of the rudder, its pretty effective. The pins need to be very stiff, and you do need to be relatively precise with the measurements or else you will get some sloppyness, but all in all, its pretty simple and very effective. I made mine with a short section of 3/4" angle and some AN3 bolts that I cut the heads off of, but Im sure there are many ways to get something similar that is equally effective. Sorry, no picture

erich

Good Idea Erich
Too bad I didn't post a request for ideas before I spent 2 days making my lock.
Personally, I did want one that mounted in the cockpit so it would catch my eye, so I guess I didn't pursue the external one that much.
However, now we've presented two ideas to those who are interested.
That's why this forum is great!!
Regards
Jack

Will it catch your eye?

Personally, I did want one that mounted in the cockpit so it would catch my eye, so I guess I didn't pursue the external one that much.
Personally, I would mount the rudder lock on the pilot side.
Read the accident reports. There have actually been people take off with the right seat belt tied around the stick/yoke.
I know you would never do that, but it HAS happened, more than once.

Personally, I would mount the rudder lock on the pilot side.
Mel
I thought about that aspect too.
My reasons to mount it on the passenger side were.
1, I didn't want to risk stepping on it when getting in.
2. It's a lot easier to install and remove on the passenger side.
3. It makes it easier getting out (me) when not installed on the pilot side.
With over 6000 hours of flying singles and twins, I have to hope that I'm aware when a lock is installed. I'm not being cocky, and I know it only takes one mistake .....but as I stated initially, if you try taxiing out with the lock installed, if the fact that the rudder pedals won't move, I guess you almost deserve the consequences, as callous as it sounds.
I'm sure that you're aware that since the advent of a nose wheel, most people stopped using the rudder anyways!!!
I'll be safe Mel!!
thanks
Jack