rv7charlie

Well Known Member
Well, it's time to glue the canopy & back glass in my tipup -7, & I need to paint the interior before the back glass gets glued in. For a variety of reasons, I used NAPA 7220 self-etch primer prior to assembly on all parts that show, in the baggage area and cockpit. Can anyone recommend a tough paint for the interior that will work over the 7220?

Desired features are: sticks to 7220, tough, ease of application, and high probability of survival during/after application (not necessarily in that order).

I'll probably go with just paint & upholstered seats, & will use a very light gray since exterior color has not yet been selected. I thought about one of the automotive 'trunk' paints, but don't want a speckled look.

Anyone been there/done that with some recommendations?

Thanks,

Charlie

I'm not even close to that point yet, but I have been considering using Zolatone (2-part, not the water based) for the exposed interior areas.

http://www.zolatoneaim.com/palette.php

Years ago, a friend painted his entire truck with this stuff (I grew up someplace with all dirt roads). His truck took a beating and the paint held up great!

Zolatone

Even though I'm not in the air yet, I also used zolatone. I put it on fairly early in the project, and it seems to wear like iron, looks good, and does not have the problems of fingerprints/orangepeel..as it is a splatter type paint...that is the good news..The bad news is that it is heavy, expensive, and somewhat of a pain to apply..I did it in one process..but you need a spray gun (hvlp works fine) with a larger than normal tip....mine is porter cable..and the larger tip cost about 40 dollars..but the tip is essential..zolatone will clog up a normal size tip. All in all, I would do it again..because the durability seems to outweigh (no pun intended) the slight pain of application...and I like the fact that a non-professional can apply it without runs,etc...Also...Aircraft Spruce only sells it by the gallon, unless they changed very recently..but some places on the net will sell it by the quart if you run out....Good Luck, hope this helps.

Rustoleum Industrial Rattle Cans

I used "industrial grade" Rustoleum in rattle cans from Home Depot. They have a light and a dark machine gray. I used both - light for removable panels including the instrument panel and dark for everything else. The contrasts adds some "design" to an otherwise plain color scheme. If I remember it only took three or four cans to do the whole job. Very tough so far and it was cheap and easy. It was applied on top of Dupont variprime after a scuff with Scotchbrite and a wipe with acetone.

interiorgv8.jpg

console2to3.jpg

seatsvo3.jpg

And with two tone gray leather seats and gray seat belts.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

Last edited:
SW Jet Flex

I used SW Jet Flex (search the archives, lots of information) over 7220. Easy to spray and dries tough. Im still building, but it is holding up well in the build process. It is water reducible. Cost is a little high at about $90 qt.

Alan Jackson
RV-9A Tip up
Hartselle, AL

I used Dupont's ChromaOne system on the interior. It depends on how much you paint (panels & such) on the amount of paint. I used a little over 1 quart plus the required reducers & activators. That doesn't include all the little brkts and do-dads on the 7. It will hold up extremely well over time and it is easy to aquire locally. There is an additive that you can add that will adjust the gloss of the interior. Also if you decide to go with the PPG line (Concept) I do have plenty of flattener that you can have if you need it. (also some dark grey from a left over Global Hawk project.) I used that on my glare shield.

Jet Flex

I also used the SW Jet Flex on the interior of 9DB. Unlike Alan, I used the solvent based version and it was a pain to apply. It was incredibly temperature sensitive. If the temp was hotter than 74 degrees it dried prior to contact---if lower than 68 it would run. Of course this could have been a result of the "operator". However, after it was on it wears like a powder coated interior. It was put on prior to the avioncis going in and has seen many hours of in and out since 2005 with nary (south Texas technical term) a scratch. I was told that it is used on the interior of large commercial aircraft for its durability. Downsides are that it is heavy due to the high % solids (which provides the durability), difficult to shoot, and expensive. However, after you get it on it will be there a loooonnng time.

Cheers,

db

Wanted a semi flat warm gray color for the interior.

Taking a pee in one of our Airbus 320's and was struck by the perfect color of the trim in the lavatory and .... wait.... yea, a bit fell off :rolleyes:

To the local paint supplier - he matched in good old two pack - check eBay - it is still available.

Got it mixed 40% flat and it worked really well.

I'm also using the two tone Rustoleum gray scheme. It is sprayed over Mar-Hyde self etching primer, and it has held up very well with all of my crawling in and out and over and under while wiring and installing the forward skin and canopy. Inexpensive and I can get touch up paint at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby.................

I'm also using the two tone Rustoleum gray scheme. It is sprayed over Mar-Hyde self etching primer, and it has held up very well with all of my crawling in and out and over and under while wiring and installing the forward skin and canopy. Inexpensive and I can get touch up paint at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Hobby Lobby.................

Way to go! A man after my own heart :)

Jim, Rod,

Is this the stuff you used?

from the Rustoleum web site:

Professional
High Performance Enamel Spray

Click on MSDS or TDS to display the information in Adobe PDF format

Light Machine Gray
SKU: 7581838 UPC: 0-20066-75818-9 MSDS TDS

Dark Machine Gray
SKU: 7587838 UPC: 0-20066-75878-3 MSDS TDS

Also, has anyone used this (instead of the appliance paint) over NAPA 7220?

Thanks,

Charlie

Jim, Rod,

Is this the stuff you used?

from the Rustoleum web site:

Professional
High Performance Enamel Spray

Click on MSDS or TDS to display the information in Adobe PDF format

Light Machine Gray
SKU: 7581838 UPC: 0-20066-75818-9 MSDS TDS

Dark Machine Gray
SKU: 7587838 UPC: 0-20066-75878-3 MSDS TDS

Also, has anyone used this (instead of the appliance paint) over NAPA 7220?

Thanks,

Charlie

Yes - looks and works great so far :)

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

That is exactly the combo I'm using. NAPA 7220 and HD Rust-oleum Professional high performance enamel. It's even held up well to some bucking bar use.
Rick Maury
RV7 on the gear