JasonNoll

Well Known Member
Hello All-

It's a bit chilly up here in Chicago:) I'm trying to improve my cabin heat. Attached are pictures of what I currently have and it's not working all that great. What's everyone else using?

Thanks!
JN

Jason - I may be mistaken, but it looks as though your cabin heat valve is actually plumbed as a cabin vent valve, taking cool ram air from the aft cylinder baffle and applying it directly to the firewall-mounted cabin heat valve.

If this truly is the case then one wouldn't expect to get much warmth from it.

The more typical setup would be to replace that black aeroduct tubing with orange SCAT tubing which, in turn, would be connected to a heat muff on your exhaust pipe. A fresh air inlet hose would provide fresh air from the forward end of the engine area (forward splitter is common) into the heat muff. When you aren't using cabin heat, the cabin heat valve is designed to dump overboard the warm air flowing through the heat muff. When you are using cabin heat, the air warmed by its passage over the exhaust system flows through the valve into the cabin.

If you spend a few minutes with our good friend "Search" you'll find lots of great photos and other info/tips/tricks. Try using search terms like "heat muff", "cabin heat", and "cabin heat valve".

No heat muff

I have some pics of mine I will post later. It will run you out even in. Olde days. Depends on your exhaust system as to what muff you need. I fabricated my own.

Fresh air vent.

Hi

I think they are right, your set up appears to be nothing more than a fresh air vent no wonder you are cold!

From the back of the plenum feed into a heat muff on the exhaust, from there to the heat valve.

I set mine up so I have a butterfly valve near he plenum so rather than just dumping air out of the plenum through the heat valve and wasting cooling air on hot days, it just blocks the supply to the heat muff.

As they say there are more than one way to skin a cat!

Heat muff pics

20151209_201224_zpskyxek2du.jpg

IMG-20130121-00369_zpsvgtwjqgr.jpg

Here is my heat system, Vetterman 4 pipe system. You can see the red SCAT tube from back of baffle (similar to yours) that goes to the heat muff, then up to the vent door (silmilar to yours). That what you need to make heat..many different ways to do this, but all the same principle.

Thanks a million Bill! Makes complete sense. I thought it was a stretch to get the heat from the cylinders, but I thought maybe I was missing something. I ordered one of these just a bit ago to do the trick www.robbinswings.com Thanks to everyone else as well for chiming in. Really appreciated it.

Thanks,
JN

szjx46.jpg

Heat Muff SCAT.

I recommend using anti-chafe tape wherever the SCAT can touch the engine mount or anything else for that matter. The Steel Wire that is used in the SCAT will chafe into anything it can contact.