SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
For my Rocket I have ordered my heat muffs which will be connected serially and then routed to the firewall heat box. Once in the cabin, I am struggling with how to distribute the heat.

I am thinking of putting in a "Y" on the cabin side of the heat box, routing the vent tube forward as far as the panel on each side, and dumping it there (I have a center console that extends from the panel to the tunnel) but would like to learn from the experience of others. I also wonder about putting in a mixing chamber and connecting it to my cold air vents, but this might be more effort than it is worth.

What did you do, and how does it work?

I actually put one muff and hole on each side (pilot/copilot) of my 9 firewall, kind of in the lower corners, about 6" up from the bottom and 6" in from the side. That's one for me and one for Julia. That way we each have individually-controllable heat. No specific heat distribution system other than the standard valve on the forward side of the FW. I've thought about putting a piece of scat tube or something on the aft side for better direction of the heat, but it seems to work fine without.

I do know of others who have added a mixing box for cool air. This may provide better temperature control. However, I've found it unnecessary.

edit: just now noticed that you are heating a Rocket, so most of my discussion is moot....

Greg

Last edited:
Cabin heat

Mark - On my F-1 I ran the hot air in through a home made mixing value (cold air from a NACA duct) divided to two outlets (Van's plastic eyeballs) under the outside corners of the instrument panel. They blow past me to the back seat. I used this same system without the mixing valve on my RV-4.

It seems to work real good. We flew last week at 16 degrees. Any questions, give me a call. Jim Winings 317-718-3415 930 hrs. on the Hobbs.