N208ET

Well Known Member
This is a fitting post since it is colder than heck outside. I am putting the cabin heat box on my 8A 0360 configuration. The plans call out for putting the box down low to the starboard side of the firewall but my firewall has already been punched for a port side installation, more specifically for the IO engines. Are there any drawbacks to putting it where the hole already is given my engine is carberated. I am also concerned about the windshield fogging up on the colder days, mainly on startup before things have a chance to get warmed up, and have been thinking about installing some kind of defroster through the upper skin. I don't have a heated hanger or even electricity so the plane is going to be cold. Has anybody thought they needed one or is it not really necessary.

Thanks

We are are operating (out of an unheated hanger) with heater to pilot feet, and get only occaisional misting of front screen, which clears quickly. We will be looking at the possibllity of extending heat to rear seat, because that is really cold! maybe something to passenger feet.

Defroster

A local builder added a defroster vent to his 8 using one of the three air tubes from his avionics cooling fan. He used two tubes for avionics cooling and ran the third tube up to an oval-shaped hole formed by....drum roll please...an aluminum popsicle mold he bought at a yard sale. It kicks out a lot of air and should do a great job. He's almost ready for his first flight so I'll get more feedback in couple of weeks or so.

Mike

I have and RV-6A but I do Have a defroster

I have and RV-6A but I do Have a defroster. I put the control box high on the firewall but I ran a dump tube to the cowl outlet for when the heat is not selected down stream of the control box (inside the cockpit) I take the duct to a "Y" with one port supplying hot air to the passenger's foot area and the other to another control box behind the instrument panel. One of the output ports supplies hot air to the pilots foot area and the other to a instrument heat vent between the windshield and the instrument panel. You can figure that out but if the heater is selected the passenger gets heat and the pilot has the option of heat or defrost. The defroster works and it has been necessary on flights in cold weather.

Bob Axsom

Baskin Robbins 33!

Yes it's true, the kids made popsicles with their 33 flavors ice cream kit. Mom decided to have a garage sale & that's when I found the popsicle mold made of aluminum! Can't seem to find any pics. of the hole I cut in the bottom with the aluminum tubing welded to it, but here is a couple installed. The top of it has a perfect rolled flange. Our cooling fan has 3 ports & we only used 2, so we'll let everyone know how it works! In the 1st pic you can see the vent in front of the compass, & I've circled it in the 2nd pic.
N53LW said:
my.php
[/URL]
N53LW said:

sounds positive

I have heard mostly positive feedback from the defroster. I plan to fly into some cold weather areas so I think this could be a mod that would pay off down the road. Thanks as always guys

Randy

For those that used a duct off a cooling fan for a defroster, is there a way to turn that particular port off during the summer? I have a 9A and will putting a multi-port cooling fan to keep my avionics cool. However, during the summer, I really don't want that warm air being blown at the windshield and back on my face.

Where are you guys putting your exhaust muffs? I have a vert. inducted cowl, and fuel injection. Is it better to put the muff near the firewall, or up front like the carb ones usually have?

Can I pull the fresh air off the back of the baffling behind the cylinders?

Per the plans

I have a 180hp (vertical induction) IO-360 for my RV-8 and mounted my cabin heat box low and right on the firewall per the plans. I know others who have put it in different places due to their engine configurations or personal preferences, but I was kind of tired of deviating from the plans when I put that one in. I did use the stainless steel heat box though.