I am planning a trip from Chico, CA to Fort Walton FL. Was thinking about LAS, ELP, Waco, Fort Walton. Anybody have any ideas for some better enroute stops? Was planning on staying the night in ELP - is there a better place?

Thanks

Instead of KLAS personally I'd use KHND. Cheaper fuel & more GA friendly.

Also, KSJN is worth looking at for cheap fuel.

www.airnav.com should be able to help you out with its fuel stop planner features.

Las Cruces

We liked Las Cruces (LRU) - friendly place and nice FBOs.

If you get an Enterprise car at the airport, you can drive into the old town of Mesilla for dinner. Usual hotels, but stay away from the Best Western - they had the loudest AC I've ever heard.... :mad:

Also - if you prefer to fly over more hospitable territory than the big mountains on your direct route, I would fly Chico - down the valley - Fox Field (WJF) - Blythe (BLH) - west edge of Phoenix (stay out of the Class B)- Tucson - El Paso area. This route is also pretty clear of MOAs and Restricted areas, as well as big chunks of high rocks...

I just checked the EAA Flight Planner and it's only 18 minutes more in my Tiger, probably just 12 minutes extra in your RV-8... :)

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
ca to fl trip

We like Las Cruces better also for a stop.

If you are going through Waco, make sure you are briefed on the Presidents P49 area and do not bust it. A visit with the secret service will spoil your day.
I would suggest a lunch stop a little north at Hard 8 BBQ at SEP.

Tom Lewis
Granbury, Tx

If you decide to come down the Central Valley, stop at KTSP instead of KWJF and save yourself 93 cents/gallon and 1700 feet of climbout. (I'm not sure how long it'll last, but 100LL is cheaper than 87 mogas in Tehachapi.) Further east, if you schedule allows plan a stop at Jennings, LA (3R7). Comfort Inn on the field with tiedowns at the Hotel.

Miles

Last edited:
Tucson area

In the Tucson area - second fuel stop, first food stop? - Ryan (RYN) has a cafe on the airport as does Marana (AVQ).

Fuel is cheaper at our airpark, but special arrangements need to be made.. let me know if that's needed....

gil in Tucson

tommylewis said:
We like Las Cruces better also for a stop.

If you are going through Waco, make sure you are briefed on the Presidents P49 area and do not bust it. A visit with the secret service will spoil your day.
I would suggest a lunch stop a little north at Hard 8 BBQ at SEP.

Good suggestions both. Avoid Waco and P-49, which is sometimes expanded to a 30 NM radius. SEP is a great stop for BBQ. It has self serve 100LL and clean bathrooms, but not much else. They used to have golf carts for getting there from the ramp, but those have disappeared.

CRS is a nice quiet airport a bit east with decent 100LL prices. If you feel the need to go to the Dallas area, RBD is a great facility - long crosswind runways, decent 100LL and good service, but it's under (not within) the Class B. GKY is also a good stop with cheap self-serve.

We were thinking of using DTS as a fuel or overnight stop on the way to TPA but were a little concerned about the restricted areas around Elgin and afternoon convective activity. What's your thoughts?

enroute stop

from las cruces or el paso, either one, consider making your next stop llano (kaqo) if you are anywhere close to lunchtime. ask for the courtesy car an go to cooper's bbq. you won't regret it. fuel is also cheap -- they used to advertise the cheapest avgas in texas. don't know if it's still the cheapest, but as of 4/9/07, airnav has them at $3.15/gal for 100ll. (400.2nm from kelp)

mho,

john

Thanks for the Info & Help

Thanks for all the input. We took off today from Chico, CA but had a small problem. We climbed to about 16000ft to cross on top V200 - the outside temp dropped to 12F and my canopy got two cracks (after 350hrs with no problems), about 3 in long each... so turned it around and went back to the hangar to stop drill the cracks. I am not so sure I want to make the trip with the cracks. My fear is that I need to order a new canopy. Aircraft spruce has a kit to repair plexiglass - anybody with any experience with repair? So, I guess this trip will be on the big iron bird.

Bob, go anyway

I have had two cracks develop that were stop drilled. Add tape if needed to reinforce it until you can "weld" the canopy.

Southern low altitude route...

ronlee said:
I have had two cracks develop that were stop drilled. Add tape if needed to reinforce it until you can "weld" the canopy.

Fix the canopy as Ron says, use a plexi solvent from your local plastic shop that will wick into the crack...

Then use the route I suggested... you can do that at 8,000 ft maximum if you want... no quick climbs to cold altitudes needed... ;)

Let me know and I'll get you cheap fuel in the Tucson area... :)

gil in Tucson

Update - sorry .. my post was not meant to sound "preachy" - I'm really sorry your canopy cracked... as the earlier post said.. fix it and fly on... :)
I'm ready for cheap Tucson gas, and will even make you guys lunch... :D

Last edited: