mlwynn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I am thinking about converting my FP to a constant speed. I have read through as much of the archives as I can find and don't clearly understand the hub thing. There is a great discussion of the new Hartzell G-hub with composite blades. Sounds like a good unit. On Van's site, it is about $5K more than the C-hub. I am unclear what about it makes it so much more expensive. I have a James Cowl and they say you want an M hub, which is extended. I think the G hub is also extended but for the life of me, I can't find anywhere where the amount of extension or length of either hub is documented.

Is the extra expense of the G hub due to the blades? Can those composite blades be installed in an M-hub? Would those blades on a C-hub with a prop extension work as well? Is there anywhere you can direct me to learn how this all works?

Michael,
I had long SJ cowl.
Had to use M Hub. 3.5-4" extension built in.
Hartzell did not recommend using prop extension,
Because of blah,blah,blah.

Cost 5k more.

Have not heArd of g hub.

Call Hartzell and see what the group says.

Boomer

Lancair guys have everything - fully balanced rudders and Hartzell Hub information.

Here it is. I think I misspoke about the M hub - sorry.

This document has the dimensions from the crank flange to centerline of the blade.

Hub Differentiation

Do I understand correctly that the function of the different hubs are the same, only the length flange to mid blade differs?

Beyond that, it is a matter of what blades you choose?