rmartingt

Well Known Member
This evening I pulled out Dad's old C-frame and started blowing the dust off in preparation for the arrival of the empennage I'm purchasing and the wing kit I will be ordering immediately thereafter. I tried to fit the inserts (the parts that would hold the dimple dies) into the slots, but neither one wants to go in its hole. They get stuck just inside.

Now, this squeezer is 15+ years old; we got it used at the beginning of his RV-6 project. It's covered in cobwebs and has some rust on it (after all, it's been sitting for 10 years). I'm wondering if some corrosion built up inside the holes and is keeping the inserts from going in.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? One "fix" I had in mind was to put sandpaper around a drill bit and clean the holes out a little. I'd really like to get this one working and save myself the cost of a new one...

I'd polish off any rust with scotchbrite and give the recesses a squirt of WD-40 or equivalent. After that, you should be able to force the dies or whatever into the holes. You might have to pry or pull them out with pliars, but after a time or two, I bet they will go in and out much easier.