aarvig

Well Known Member
I recently purchased the Cleaveland C-Frame dimpling tool. It came with plans to build a C-Frame bench. I followed the plans to the letter in terms of dimensions of cuts and widths of wood and carpeting. However, when I finished and installed the dies they sit about 1/16" recessed in the hole. My concern is that this will cause a dent along with a dimple. SO...what do I do now. I don't want to remake the whole bench but it is screwed and glued together so I can't just take it apart. I basically need the C-Frame tool to sit up about 1/8 of an inch from its position to be 1/16" proud of the top surface. The tool is great, the plans are great, but unfortunately they are not accurate. Short of taking a planing tool and planing all the support structure down 1/8th of an inch are there any recommendations? Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the plans for that bench, but could you shim the C frame up with some 1/8 aluminum plate? I'm assuming the C frame is sitting inside a recess of some sort. Or shim the bottom die up with an 1/8" thick washer?

I have the Cleveland c frame as well. I just used a few washers or a nut to raise the bottom die high enough. It's not the most stable ever, but as long as the first whack with the mallet is light, to kind of align them, it's not a problem. I've completed almost the entire fuselage with no problems.

I have the Cleveland c frame as well. I just used a few washers or a nut to raise the bottom die high enough. It's not the most stable ever, but as long as the first whack with the mallet is light, to kind of align them, it's not a problem. I've completed almost the entire fuselage with no problems.

OK,
I'll work with this set-up and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.