flyingfrog

I'm New Here
Hello everybody...brand new to the RV community and I've got a couple of questions. I don't have time to build at this stage in my life, but I am starting to think about selling my Cherokee 140 and buying a flying RV-9.

I'm done some preliminary reading and understand that the repairman's certificate can't be transferred. Are there any other MX benefits to buying experimentals (non-certified equipment, etc)? I'd really like to buy a basic autopilot and GPS for my Cherokee, but it would cost more than the airplane is worth! Would I run into the same problem with an RV if I don't have the repairman's certificate? Goal would be to buy a very basic RV and add to it over the years...I wouldn't plan on selling for a very long time.

Thanks!
Jason

Welcome to VAF

Anyone can work on an experimental airplane, you just have to have an A&P do the "annuals" (condition inspections) typically they are around $500 if you help and remove and replace covers, seats, etc. The best advantage to me is being able to add, changes, or work on the plane, and burn any gas you feel comfortable burning.

Last edited:
The repairmans certificate allows you to do the condition inspection (aka annual). No biggie. Costs me about $150 a year. All other maintenance you can do IF you know what you are doing.

The RV should be mucho cheaper to maintain. Go forth and get one. An RV6/A would be cheaper.