tikicarver

Well Known Member
Any one know if you buy aircraft parts from Canada, from a private party,
do you have to pay some kind of import or customs tax?
Like say you drive across the border with an engine in the back of your truck,
are they going to make you pay some kind of duty tax?

Not sure...

but when I bring parts back to Canada from the US, I just have to pay the sales tax. It's 13% here in Ontario. There's no duty bringing it across or brokerage fees as I do it myself. I would think it would be the same going the other direction.

Coming into Canada there are no duties on aircraft or aircraft parts. I think the free trade agreement with the US would apply to the return trip. You can call your local border crossing and ask the question anonymously though... They are very willing to help. They would rather that you know what to expect when you cross the border, rather than get into an argument with you over how much you owe and to whom.

tax

I live in Missouri. This state requires a use tax payment on items bought out of state that were not taxed by sales tax. I think 4.225 %.
I bought an Aerosport Power engine and had it shipped here. I assumed that Canada's VAT was equivalent to a sales tax and did not pay a use tax. I wrote the DOR in Missouri and they were sympathetic but not agreeable and so I had to pay the tax. No penalties and I did not push the issue. When the engine crossed the border paper work was generated that eventually found its way to the DOR.
Of course, could be different in your state.