tdhanson

Well Known Member
I see you can buy the whole Vans Kit and then buy the engine/prop and get a pretty good discount. This is one per Vans customer number.

I called Vans and asked about buying a kit from someone (in new or partially assembled condition) and they said there is no charge to transfer the kit serial number to me.

Does transferring the kit serial no. to me also assign me a Vans customer number and then allow me to purchase the engine/prop at discount if it hadn't already been 'used' by prior kit owner(s)?

A second question would be what criteria and price would you put on a kit when buying 2nd hand. I don't usually see much markup for a persons time for partially completed tail/wings/fuse. In fact it seems the prices are less than a new kit.

A third question might be how much build would a person need to do to then become repairman eligible? Say if the wings and tail were already built but I then build the fuse and assemble all components, fwf, and avionics, is this sufficient?

Tracy

(looking to buy/build an RV4, RV7, or RV8 in order of preference and budget).

In terms of valuation of a kit that people have worked on. Almost like a new car, the value typically goes down the second you unpack your kit. The new buyer is no longer guaranteed to have every piece, there may be damage or corrosion from pieces sitting too long, or if any workmanship is done, it may be shoddy. You will definitely find this true on the empennage kits. Buyers want a kit that is not touched, because they know it is a good kit to learn with. It is also a bad sign if someone is selling a halfway built tail, it means they probably got in over their heads with the build, which means they do not have much experiance with building, which can question worksmanship.

Sometimes you will find a builder selling his half built kit and try to get more money out of it than was put in, but that is an asking price and this rarely happens unless it has received its airworthiness certificate.

Does transferring the kit serial no. to me also assign me a Vans customer number and then allow me to purchase the engine/prop at discount if it hadn't already been 'used' by prior kit owner(s)?)

You inherit the kit number that was assigned to the original owner, so you are correct, as long as the original owner did make the purchase, you can.

A second question would be what criteria and price would you put on a kit when buying 2nd hand. I don't usually see much markup for a persons time for partially completed tail/wings/fuse. In fact it seems the prices are less than a new kit.

Just like buying a used car. The best deal each party can negotiate.

A third question might be how much build would a person need to do to then become repairman eligible? Say if the wings and tail were already built but I then build the fuse and assemble all components, fwf, and avionics, is this sufficient?

First you have to be able to prove that 51% was built by non-hired help. This is probably not a problem if you have the build logs from the original owner. Many FSDOs will give you the Repairman's Cert if you are familiar with the build.

bob

Bob is correct. The "51%" concerns whether or not the aircraft is "amateur-built". It does not necessarily have a large bearing on the repairman certificate. To be eligible for the repairman certificate, you must convince the FAA that you built a sufficient amount of the aircraft to competently conduct the condition inspection. Typically, most FSDOs are lenient on this matter.

Tax benefit

Depending on your state, you may have a tax savings if you purchase a 'used kit' vs a new kit. Similar to the tax on a new car vs a used car.

For this reason, a very slightly 'used' kit might actually be a better deal.