ILikePike

Well Known Member
I am looking to place my order for an XIO-360MIB and 74" Hartzell from Vans. Is there an airshow Oshkosh discount? Whats the total price and how can I get it without going to the show. I have to work this week to afford said engine and prop.:confused:

Check website

Check the bottom of the page of the website, www.vansaircraft.com, for the engine pricing. $1000 off for a "bundled order".

You do not have to be at the show to take advantage of it and the special usually lasts until August 31st. Give them a call for all the details.

I'm looking to take advantage of this as well, but wondering a few questions. What is the difference between XIO-360 and YIO-360? the brochure says YIO... the main website says XIO.

Also, I purchased a completely assembled airframe from a previous builder (now deceased) and have the customer number; this kit has not to my knowledge had the engine/prop discount applied to it; as the current owner/builder am I eligible to use this engine/prop combo? Again I have the customer serial number but was not the original purchaser of the kit.

Bob Turner posted this answer on another forum:

A year + ago, I had to call Williamsport (I wanted the larger starter motor, which they exchanged with mine for no charge). While I was on the phone I asked them the difference between "X" and "Y", since this appeared to be new at that time. He said there is no difference. Just that Lycoming decided they wanted to keep track of where engines are going, so experimental engines sold by Vans are "Y"'s; those sold by others are "X"'s. At least, that's what he told me. Presumably if there was another large retailer, those would be "Z"'s.

What is the difference between XIO-360 and YIO-360?

I had the same question when I bought mine during the Sun 'n Fun promotion earlier this year and I called Barb in the office at Van's for an answer. I hope I'm remembering it right: I think she said that Van's needed to choose a designation ("X") for printing in their accessories catalog before the engine was available from Lycoming. Then Lycoming released it as "Y". Sort of a miscommunication but not worth either party changing their paperwork. Absolutely no difference in the engine.

... am I eligible to use this engine/prop combo?
Most likely, yes, but a quick call to Barb would be the authoritative area. She's real easy to talk with and has always been very flexible about builders' numbers, etc.

--
Joe

Engine and Prop.

I am looking at the combo price as well but sure do wish the folks down there in America would remember that Alaska is part of the continental United States, just not part of the contiguous United States...looks like I probably won't get the free shipping...some one at Lycoming needs a geography lesson...

"X" engines are not certified and can be used in experimental aircraft only. The certified engines sold by Van's can be used in certified aircraft. I did not see any "Y" designation in Van's order form.

The nice thing about buying motors and props from Van's is that all their components are designed around their specifications to the engine and prop MFGs and fit properly. Not all Lycoming engines of the same designation are built the same or have the same accessories and mountings.

When I built my 7A, I useda Van's engine and prop. Everything in the FWF kit for my engine and prop fit and functioned properly and saved a lot of time and hassle rounding all those things up.

Roberta:)

The nice thing about buying motors and props from Van's is that all their components are designed around their specifications to the engine and prop MFGs and fit properly. Not all Lycoming engines of the same designation are built the same or have the same accessories and mountings.

Roberta:)

That used to be true. For the RV-10 builders buying an YIO-540 from Vans and the FWF kit will find that that the alternator will be out of alignment by 3/32 and the belt is the wrong length.

Vans does have a bushing kit available for $30 to fix the alignment issue. This is due Vans changing the ring gear a for a Brazilan customer and impacting their US customers.

Vans has made several builders buy this kits as recently as a couple weeks ago and still hasn't accepted responsibility of their oversight.

The belt length issue was documented at least six years ago and isn't fixed yet either.