Greetings all,

I'm in the market for an RV 4, taking my time to do the research before joining the Vans AF. I've read many of the threads, and the "Newbie Info". As much as I'd love to build, realistically I don't have the time (yet) I'm about a 500hr tail dragger pilot.

So, I'd love to find a 180hp w/CS prop. However, I don't want to turn my nose up at a good 160hp, C/S either. Anybody have any experience with both and can elaborate on the performance differences.

Also, and with my gratitude in advance for your patience, experience and much respect for helping me through the learning curve here concerning RVs. I would love to hear from anyone who would like to throw some words of wisdom/caution my way ref what to look for structurally in an RV 4. Any common errors, lessons learned, specific areas to focus on, problem areas, potential faults, and anything else that might save my ***!

I'm in no hurry and have been nosing around the EAAers at a couple local airports for info as well.

Thanx again!

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Well, I would call you by name, if I knew what it was, but what the hey, welcome to VAf no matter who you are.

Glad you are a fireman :D, not a "firefighter".

I did 37 years in fire service. CDF

For RV 4 stuff, there is a guy on the forum, Randy Thorne, who is a wealth of knowledge.

And, he is close to you-----lives in Ione.

Try sending him a email??

Good to have you aboard.

Last edited:
I'm a 350 hour pilot, about 250 on tailwheel, and I bought my RV-6 (O-320 150HP FP) in January... 40 hours ago. I'll happily answer any questions I can. Welcome to the forum, and hopefully soon to RV ownership.

Absolute Best Bang for the buck...

Sir (no name left on your post),

I finished my RV4 in 1996 and flew it for 10 years and nearly 1400 hours. I have been blessed to fly many RV4's since and help others purchase them. Needless to say, the lighter they are, the better they fly. To me the absolute best flying RV4's are the light, 150HP wood prop versions. Certainly not as fast in cruise, but capital F in Fun. The 180 C/S will cruise at nearly 170 Knots true at 9 GPH, the 150/160 faired up about 8 knots slower. Takeoff distance measured on my 1800' turf strip is 80' shorter with the 180 C/S than my 150/wood. The purchase cost per knot of cruise between the two in dollars is about $1000 per knot. It's a great airplane, you can't go wrong. I helped fellow Viper Driver Randy Horne find his RV4 and he too is a convert.

In 1998 I took off after breakfast from my FL panhandle home and had dinner with family friends in Boise the same day. I then took it to the ID back-country landing on numerous unimproved short runways at high elevations with landing, takeoff and climb equalling or exceeding my friends Cessna 180. In cruise the 180 isn't on the same page. All this with a 150HP and wood prop.

Now owning a HR2, I can compare the two airplanes and safely say that the RV4 is "the most bang for your buck" the HR2 "is the most bang for alot of bucks!"

Don't let a C/S prop or big engine stop your search. Let me know if I can help.

Rob "Smokey" Ray
HR2
RVX
RV4 sold but missed
F16 Really missed :(

Last edited:
Sir (no name left on your post),
To me the absolute best flying RV4's are the light, 150HP wood prop versions. Certainly not as fast in cruise, but capital F in Fun. I helped fellow Viper Driver Randy Thorne find his RV4 and he too is a convert.
(

Ray, how does the RV-3 compare in terms of weight? I imagine there is a noticeable difference without the rear seat. I'm in the market as well for an RV-4 but have been considering a 3 lately. BTW, I'm a KC-135 pilot in Wichita--do you still fly vipers?

Take Care,

Whit

Three for three!

Hi Whit,

First, thanks for your service! More than once a KC-135 saved my butt over bad guy land when I was down to vapor. I retired three years ago after 26 1/2 years. I shared a hangar with an Ah Vee Three in the early 90's and flew it quite a bit, my first RV flying. It really is the best RV of them all, very small, light and nimble, a true sports car. I have flown the Cassutt and Midget Mustang and like them alot too. They are smaller and land at a higher speed than the three though.

Our three weighed 720 lbs with an 0-320A, wood prop and starter/motorcycle battery but no electrical system. Takeoff and climb are excellent, better than the 4 and it cruised easily at 155 Knots. I took it many times into a 900' farm strip and it is noticeably lighter. One of my friends had a 160HP Three that had three records, one a climb record to 20,000 feet in 1983. It is a real hoot to fly if you fly alone alot. It will also fit into a T hangar with another RV with the right "fanagaling".

Let me know if I can help.

Smokey

Last edited:
Thanks for your service as well Smokey! That is quite a career and I can't imagine how many sacrifices you and your family made during that time. Although it is awesome to get paid to fly! I've only been in 4 years but am loving every minute of it. How much do the 3's usually run? I'm renting an apartment inside a hangar on 1K1 (Stearman Field) and would ideally have a partner on this purchase but am having a hard time finding the right person w/ the interest and GA and tailwheel experience. Most of my flying will be "fun flying" after work or on the weekend with the occasional XC but I do love the option of taking up a passenger. Thanks for the advice and feel free to stop by if you're ever nearby--the burgers at the airport restaurant are excellent!

I recently purchased a 4 and if there's one thing I can't stress enough it would be to have a good pre-purchase done by someone that really knows RV's. I did and it was well worth the money. I used Kent Gorton who's based in Georgia. He found a number of squawks that a previous pre-purchase had missed and I was able to knock their repair cost off of the purchase price. Kent also fixed the squawks and did my transition training so it worked out great. I know there are some others on the forum that could provide you with the same service. SmokeyRay being an obvious choice :D

My primary goal was to find a well built 4 and go from there. It didn't have the exact engine/prop configuration, avionics, etc. I was looking for but I couldn't be happier with it.

I flew a 6 during my transition training and I enjoyed flying it but as soon as I jumped in the 4 it was like the whole world opened up. The visibility is great and to my neophyte hands it just handles so much better than the 6.

Good luck with your search!

Dan

Thanx for the great info all

Really appreciate the feedback and info. Have learned a lot and talked with a couple people. What a great forum!

Thanx again as I go fwd in my search for a good RV 4.

Dave