Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I sold off a project Mooney last summer and as it was the family truckster when I was a kid and the last airplane my dad owned, it occurred to me that I should have retained the N number for use on my next airplane. Kind of a silly, sentimental thing. Unfortunately, this occurred to me only a few days ago. however, I was able to contact the new owner and he is happy to surrender the number to me. The one slight wrinkle to this is the fact that he has not registered the airplane in his name yet. I'm guessing that's step one.

I do have some experience with this as a guy with a Gulfstream was willing to buy an N number from me years ago, but he'd provided all the paperwork. I'm not quite sure where to start, so I figured the I'd try get educated before I called the FSDO.

Anybody have any words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance.

I did this on my Warrior... In 84 I did a custom number. And when I sold it, The old original was still available. So I switched it back.

1. Reserve a new number.

2. Request in writing to the FAA that you want that number placed on XXX airplane and you want to reserve the existing number ($5 fee to reserve). They will send you authorization to install the new number. And new registration card.

3. Entry in log book. done.

Caution!!! This does not apply to experimental a/c ...... It is a much bigger deal for us.

PS.... County and state tax bills on A/C are by N numbers.... So this might show another aircraft registered to you. A copy of your entire transaction sent to the tax man should resolve this issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Seems pretty straightforward. Why does this not apply to experimental? The number I sold to the Gulfstream owner was off my Tailwind... And my old Mooney number will be for my next airplane, which is almost certainly going to be a homebuilt.

Thanks for the info. Seems pretty straightforward. Why does this not apply to experimental? The number I sold to the Gulfstream owner was off my Tailwind... And my old Mooney number will be for my next airplane, which is almost certainly going to be a homebuilt.

Because your limits and restrictions are linked to your N number..... they must be re-written. Usually requires a trip or two to the FISDO. It does not apply to the number that you removed. Just the one that you are installing on the experimental. And it only applies if you are changing the number. NOT to the original.

OK, that makes sense.

Well, as long as I get "my" number back, I can cross the other bridge when I get to it.

Thanks a bunch!

Because your limits and restrictions are linked to your N number..... they must be re-written. Usually requires a trip or two to the FISDO. It does not apply to the number that you removed. Just the one that you are installing on the experimental. And it only applies if you are changing the number. NOT to the original.

I recently sold my -8 and in the process, we also switched the n-number. The n-number went to a third party whom also happened to be a DAR. As you stated, assigning a new number to an experimental aircraft requires a new airworthiness certificate and operating limitations. Fortunately, the DAR handled that part of the paperwork dance.

However, wrt to the n-number swap, he used an aircraft title service (AIC Title Service, LLC) located in the same building as the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch to handle the paperwork. The advantage here is that the title service will hand deliver all documents directly to the FAA.

I was told that the Registration Branch will (almost) immediately process paperwork delivered by a title company, whereas, documents received by mail may take up to 10 business days before the paperwork is processed. Also, if there are any questions or snags along the way, the title service has direct contact with the FAA. I don’t know what the cost of the service was however it was very efficient.

Regards,

Last edited:
I reserved my N-Number in about December 2011/January 2012. It took about a month. When I got my partially built kit, I registered it with the FAA, and asked that my reserved N-Number be assigned to the airframe. That was Feb/March 2012. I got the Registration back in about a week.

When I completed the build, the FAA MIDO did the Airworthiness Inspection - that was 23 Jan 2013. The C of A and Limitations I received contained my Tail Number and airframe Serial Number.

Other than the Operating Limitations letter that accompanied the C of A, - which reflected it being a Light Sport - there was nothing in the whole process that reflected the airplane being Experimental. While Reserving, and then Registering the aircraft, I was right in there - cheek to jowl - with a bunch of other aircraft owners - mostly Boeing types - vying for my particular number.

Bob Bogash
N737G
RV-12