WISC

Well Known Member
What are the issues with buying an aircraft that has just started Phase 1. The aircraft is not in my local area.
1. Which FSDO issues the ferry permit?
2. What are the odds of actually getting a ferry permit?
3. Do I need a new set of operating limitations and start phase 1 all over?
4. I am sure there are many other concerns and I appreciate your insight.

Guy lost his medical.
I would fly it off if that is legal but the airplane is not local.
I can't speak as to why owner hasn't had someone else fly it off. I need to get a ferry permit to move it and change the ops limit as a minimum is my understanding.

Webinars

EAA had a couple of webinars you might be interested in.

Here's one by Mike Busch on Ferry Permits:

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=4040527226001

And another one here on buying and selling E-AB aircraft here:

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=3096724434001

I seem to recall in this last one, the presenter either discussed or was asked about getting a ferry permit while in Phase I....his belief was the FAA would be disinclined to issue one, but you can always ask.

Rob S.

What are the issues with buying an aircraft that has just started Phase 1. The aircraft is not in my local area.
1. Which FSDO issues the ferry permit?
FSDO where the aircraft is presently located.
2. What are the odds of actually getting a ferry permit?
Slim. Depending on the distance.
3. Do I need a new set of operating limitations and start phase 1 all over?
Yes & No. You won't need to restart phase I, but you will need amended op lims to change test area.
4. I am sure there are many other concerns and I appreciate your insight.

See above.

How many hours does it need to clear Phase1? Seems like you could factor the cost of the trip into your pricing and go have fun flying it off.

No expert by any means, but I believe any pilot can fly off the time, owner or not.

I would also think, the easiest would be to fly it off at location and avoid a bunch of hoops and paperwork. Even if that meant traveling for week, or heading on weekends as available to make that happen maybe even recruit some helpers.

I've heard rumors of people getting ferry permits for Phase 1 planes, but don't know of any personally. I'd bet that it's highly dependent on the FSDO where the plane is located.

What worked for me about 20 years ago was to pull the wings & trailer it home. After I reassembled it on my home field, the local FSDO reissued the oplims with a local test area. It's been a long time, but IIRC, they didn't even look at the plane. I just took the old oplims to them & picked up the new ones.

Charlie

FWIW, phase 1 isn't for just flying time off.
It's for flight testing.
Can be 25 hrs with a tested prop/engine combo or 40 hours.

I would suggest making arrangements for someone to complete the phase 1.

I asked for and was granted a ferry permit to fly a Lancair 320 in Phase 1 from Spokane to 8S1 - about 150nm. No issues, no restrictions.

I expect each FAA employee will react differently. I found a decent amount of flexibility with my AW process. If you could map out a route that was 100% over un-populated areas, I think you would have a good argument with the FDDO. My guy didn't really care about the size of my test area, as long as I agreed to remain clear of populated areas.

Good luck,

Larry