aaronbor

I'm New Here
Hello friends,

I am new to this forum. This is an incredible source of information advice and encouragement.

I had a dream of building and RV8 for decades. But I swept that idea under the carpet with life and responsibilities.

This past July I attended EAA AirVenture for the first time and now my dream has been reignited.
Unfortunately, right now I don’t have the space or the time available to take on the RV8 building project. (I know more excuses) In 6 years, after retirement, I will be able to do it, and I will do it.

Even thou I can't build right now, there is nothing the precludes me from buying a flying RV8. I think that would be a great way to get experience with the aircraft.

I would appreciate guidance in:

• How to go about finding a good used aircraft
  • What to look for
  • What to avoid
  • How to know what fair prices and values are
  • How the buying process works
  • Pre buy Inspections
  • Where to get transition flight training
I have been reading some of the archived post and there is a wealth of information here.

I wound appreciate any advice and experience anyone want to share.

Thank you

Aaron

Some info from Van’s, in case you haven’t seen these yet:

And Vic Syracuse’s book with info on pre-buy inspections:

Good luck in your search!

Four years ago, i started that exact same search for an RV 6/7/9 by posting a “ want to buy” post in the classified section here on VAF. It was a different market then, but I got several responses and less than 5 weeks later picked up the airplane I was aiming for. I don’t know how you’d swing it but I was fortunate enough to hook up with an RV “guru” who carefully helped me understand what I was looking for, separate wheat from chaff, then steered me through the “pre- pre-buy” process, finally helped me ferry the airplane home then did my transition training.

Last edited:
Where do you live?
What do you fly now?
Have you read the book? It kind of lays out many answers.

I've had my RV for about a month. I had owned a 172, 312 hours in the model. I had upgraded engine, paint, seats, and avionics so had an idea of what could be involved in buying a plane that needed such upgrade$. My list for shopping was decent paint, modern glass panel that did not need upgrading, and an engine that when installed was factory new, not something cobbled together to unknown tolerances at a no name shop. I drew up a spreadsheet with every model for sale, asked for records, asked lots of questions here and other places. Went for a test flight. Scheduled a prebuy, saw the prebuy. Negotiated a bit, minimal work done. Had lined up a few ferry pilots, went with the one that could do insurance required training/BFR/HP. Read FAA related materials on what paperwork gets filled out as seller/broker might not know (bill of sale 8050-2 and signed over registration).

Money and family might preclude you buying...

Well. Aaron…

Al Karpinski here located just outside Syracuse NY.

…. I just. Might have what your looking for … A nice RV8 with 80hr on the hobbs. .. N498RV

And your local…

See attached links..

The short Intro: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1y9SmYjWguGRccKc9

Build Log: https://photos.app.goo.gl/XpkYCodwBCjAqeMb7

I don’t have price in mind.. But I’m sure we could come to some agreeable number..

Reason for possibly selling…. No time to fly two aircraft have a 2016 Cessna 182T

Al Karpinski
274 Barker Road
Jordan, NY 13080
C: 315-935-9524

Attachments

• Cockpit.jpg
    Cockpit.jpg
    11.1 MB · Views: 44
  • N498RV.jpg
    N498RV.jpg
    11.6 MB · Views: 44
Can't stress enough -- get a pre-buy inspection! If the aircraft is close to Atlanta you could use Vic Syracuse, who I did. But pay for expert experienced advice from somebody who knows RVs. It pays for itself immediately. eve if you have to pay for 2 or 3 pre-buys.

In my case, the RV-9A I bought was structurally sound and cosmetically nice. It flew straight and fine and hit Van's performance numbers on my own flight with the owner.

Then it went to Vic for prebuy - despite no clues to problems there were many. Borescope revealed severe corrosion everywhere from sitting and not flying in a humid environment. One cylinder had very low compression. Flywheel was damaged and starter hung up. Multiple electrical issues of concern.

The engine needed a complete overhaul. I was surprised as was the seller. It was not the conversation we planned to have. However, he knew it would continue to be a problem for any buyer, and to his credit didn't want to sell without disclosing this. I would say the majority of pilots share this ethical attitude, but not all. Once he saw the pictures and data, and had a talk with his own A&P, he agreed the value of the plane had to be adjusted. We negotiated a 30k price decrease which pays for about 3/4 of a major overhaul all in with labor, etc.

It was the best outcome for an unfortunate situation for both seller and me. It is a nice airplane, and I did source an engine, but it did put me about 3 months behind. However in the end I will have a safe aircraft with a trustworthy motor and not be upside down.

Can't stress enough -- get a pre-buy inspection! If the aircraft is close to Atlanta you could use Vic Syracuse, who I did. But pay for expert experienced advice from somebody who knows RVs. It pays for itself immediately. eve if you have to pay for 2 or 3 pre-buys.

In my case, the RV-9A I bought was structurally sound and cosmetically nice. It flew straight and fine and hit Van's performance numbers on my own flight with the owner.

Then it went to Vic for prebuy - despite no clues to problems there were many. Borescope revealed severe corrosion everywhere from sitting and not flying in a humid environment. One cylinder had very low compression. Flywheel was damaged and starter hung up. Multiple electrical issues of concern.

The engine needed a complete overhaul. I was surprised as was the seller. It was not the conversation we planned to have. However, he knew it would continue to be a problem for any buyer, and to his credit didn't want to sell without disclosing this. I would say the majority of pilots share this ethical attitude, but not all. Once he saw the pictures and data, and had a talk with his own A&P, he agreed the value of the plane had to be adjusted. We negotiated a 30k price decrease which pays for about 3/4 of a major overhaul all in with labor, etc.

It was the best outcome for an unfortunate situation for both seller and me. It is a nice airplane, and I did source an engine, but it did put me about 3 months behind. However in the end I will have a safe aircraft with a trustworthy motor and not be upside down.
My experience was, fortunately, the opposite. After I was contacted here on VAF in response to my query about a -9A, my "mentor" contacted the seller, got a bunch of info. He was very open and forthcoming, and shared the name of his A&P who had done several upgrades and all of the previous 5 condition inspections. He is/was a well-known and very well-respected RV wrangler and also was very forthcoming and helpful. Further discussions about some of those disclosed issues led to a modest price adjustment and ultimately I was very happy. I readily acknowledge that using the previous owner's A&P as a pre-buy may not be a universally acclaimed smart move, but in this case the guy's well-known reputation for integrity and his very open and honest demeanor was confidence-inspiring and nothing in my subsequent ownership and several inspections has made me regret that choice. As my "mentors" anticipated and final purchase price reflected, I did ultimately have to upgrade a failed EFIS which kind of turned into a semi-major avionics upgrade, and I still have some issues to "correct" regarding the fuel plumbing firewall foreword, but the airplane has been a joy to own/fly and everything I anticipated. It's also nice that the market kind of exploded shortly after I bought it, and if I sold it today I still come out better than even on the purchase.

Last edited:
Yes, a good objective prebuy is vital.

However, DO NOT fall in love with the airplane too early. Too many buyers just went ahead and bought the “airplane of their dreams” because it had a great paint job or 200 hp or something, even though their mechanic was given the big wave-off sign. Fixing the shortcomings racks up dollars fast.

Well. Aaron…

…. I just. Might have what your looking for … A nice RV8 with 80hr on the hobbs. .. N498RV

And your local…

See attached links..

I don’t have price in mind.. But I’m sure we could come to some agreeable number..

Reason for possibly selling…. No time to fly two aircraft have a 2016 Cessna 182T

Al Karpinski
274 Barker Road
Jordan, NY 13080
That is a very nice looking 8!!! If the original poster isn't interested, I am.....all depending on asking price of course. A guys got a budget that the CFO (wife) puts the approval on!! LOL

Well. Aaron…

And your local…

See attached links..

Al Karpinski
274 Barker Road
Jordan, NY 13080
Great looking RV8, I will give a call.

I see the importance of pre buy Inspections. The issue is how to find an experienced RV inspector willing to come to where the aircfat is located. I know abou Vic Syracuse, but I think he travels only with a certain distance from Atlanta. There must be others.