cnpeters

Well Known Member
In looking at used (eg from Barnstormers or other ads) engines, what are some points to understand is trying to assure a successful purchase?
1) What are the positives to look for, things to avoid?
2) What is best for an onsite inspection? What to look for?
3) Good source for any AD's to cross check?
4) Is a tear down inspection necessary if the engine was directly off a working plane? Rough cost for an inspection on average?
5) What do i need to look for in documentation, like logs?
I am not sure I will go used here (especially as there are not many IO-360's for sale), but want to understand what I am against.
Thanks for any advice... .
Carl

On the used versus new thing, my original plan A was to buy a new kit engine and build it up the way I wanted. I allotted a pile of dollars for that, and was happy with the plan. I also decided that if by chance, somewhere along the way, I happened to run across that "right deal" on a used engine I would pay attention and evaluate it as a contender. I've been on the lookout for about 4 months now and this afternoon I will go take a look at the first real contender. You're right, they are few and far between for good ones, but if you've got time you can find one.

Like flying in adverse conditions, have a Plan A and a Plan B. Exercise whichever one looks best when the time comes.

On the used versus new thing, my original plan A was to buy a new kit engine and build it up the way I wanted. I allotted a pile of dollars for that, and was happy with the plan. I also decided that if by chance, somewhere along the way, I happened to run across that "right deal" on a used engine I would pay attention and evaluate it as a contender. I've been on the lookout for about 4 months now and this afternoon I will go take a look at the first real contender. You're right, they are few and far between for good ones, but if you've got time you can find one.

Like flying in adverse conditions, have a Plan A and a Plan B. Exercise whichever one looks best when the time comes.

Good advice.

I was on the same track and found a used engine off a flying Pitts. The Owner couldn't sell the airplane so he parted it out and sold both the fwf and airframe within a week.
The eng was more power than I originally spec'd - bonus, but it was of course used - 200SMOH. I have been really happy with it (flying a year) and it still has great compression, realatively low oil consumption, and doesn't make metal. The one scare I had during the build was converting it to C/S (it was fixed pitch on the Pitts). I thought I might have a crankcase that was incompatible. I confered with Lycoming and it was in fact fine. (certain cases have a vent for fixed pitch applications that make them incompatible with c/s ops even with a hollow crank.

So far so good.

Engines

Hello Carl,

I just bought 4 Vantages IO-360-B1A2 engines and will be selling 3 of them
if you want to take a look let me know. Times are around 116hrs 45hrs 10hrs, 0 hrs...
Thanks,
Scott 317-727-8157
[email protected]

Ok....so lets talk numbers.

New clone with all the bells and whistles would be roughly $30k? A low time used engine ready to roll would be in the $15-20K range? So you are paying $10-15K for a NEW engine with a warranty vs a somewhat unknown engine. What does a good overhaul cost these days?

The above numbers are all assumed and I haven't researched at all...am I in the ballpark?

I am sure somebody with knowledge/experience will chime in here and answer the OP's questions along with mine.

Used

There are some deals out there if you look and move on them quick. You can buy core with a guaranteed crank from Wentworth or Flagler Air Exchange for about $8500, not really cheap enough if you want to " zero " everything . They also sell low to mid time running engines for $13,000 to $1700 and up . Vans deal on Lycomings has gone up a lot in the last 5 years , making the cost between new and used a big gap . I purchased a engine from an add on Barnstormers , I was able to have a third party check it out and verifie what I was purchasing , It will be delivered this week ( Cal. to Fl $460 shipping ). It's an angle valve , 10 to 1 pistons , fuel injected , new cylinders , new mags , all accssories including prop gov. Lycon built it , 250 hp , 0 SMOH .paid about half of what Vans gets for a 200 hp.
Keep your eyes open , and Yor check book handy .
I will have a parallel valve 180 hp , with carb and all accssories , 250 SMOH .
For sale , waiting to take some photos of it and get it posted .