jasman45

Where are the best places to find a used, mid time, engine. In particular I am looking for an o-320. I have found a lot of places that have engines that have prop strikes etc. but I have not found a place for good running mid time engines.

I had a good experience with Wentworth. I ended up with an IO-360 out of a Pitts with a prop strike. At first they did not offer it to me because the crank was in excess of what could be straightened. I installed a new crank and bearings (and of course did all of the prop strike replacement/inspection things).

They would not have offered this engine if I had not told them I was willing to take anything they had. My point is that they might only offer what they think is a "bolt in runner", unless you ask further.

Good Luck!!

My free opinion

When I first started building I went throught the regular research. Decided an egg, then a used Lyco...ended up with new engine.
I am glad I took my time and did what I did and didnt rush into a deal. You are likely aware that there are certified and non certified (big price diff). A quick look at the cubcrafter used engines and I am pretty sure you can do better and get brand new.

Take your time and hopefully a good deal will come along. Osh usually has specials from the builders that will likely save you a K or two off the reg prices plus free ship etc, should be there monday am if you know what you want as they often have limited promos.

Several builders that have great build sites on the net bought used and ended up regretting it due to unforeseen big nasty bills, stuff that doesnt fit etc. If you can swing it, a new engine would be a great long term investment. (Unless all your heads get recalled haha)

Last edited:
Ask the right questions

I bought an engine core from a company in Florida I saw in Barnstormers. It was advertised at having 2361 hrs. What I didn't ask was total time. After I got the engine it had 6723 hrs on it. The 2361 was the time since last overhaul at removal. When I sent the case out for inspection it was rejected due to cracks and I had to buy an overhauled case. Buyer beware.

I've heard great things about Air Salvage in Dallas. Ask for Lucky!

Second on ASOD. Lucky's very good and an honorable guy. Long story short, he sold me what turned out to be a very rare engine. A hollow shaft 160-hp -320 (B series I believe it was) that wasn't drilled to allow oil flow to a CS prop!

He didn't take the engine back, but he did arrange a sale of the engine for me within 1-2 days. All I was out was some shipping. I thought it was very fair versus the alternative. He also sold my dad an excellent engine for his -9 at a fair price. All ASOD engines are test run on their stand before sale.