Hello all
Im about to by a RV-4
this will be the first time ive bought a plane.
I had a pre buy done by a RV guy and he said there arent any operation limitations to be found in the paper work
the owner has passed away and the family is selling the plane.
so my question is can I copy sombody elses or do i need the originals and if they are long gone what do I need to do.
Thanks
Rob

Checking RV4

Before you buy take the upper covering off just aft of the firewall and check both the upper and lower weldments (the attachments from the firewall to the fuselage) . Check these for cracks and corrosion, if cracks are found do not buy the aircraft. Roger Moore [email protected]

You need operating limitations...

This is a required doc. You might want to talk to a tech counselor / flight advisor from EAA before you complete the sale. I think you will be able to apply for updated operating limiations from your local FSDO but you really should make sure you get that cleared up.

Why don't you tell us a little more about it ? Good luck.

John
RV4 bought one, bulding one....

Rob,
The Operating Limitations are a part of the 8130-7 (Airworthiness Certificate). The airplane cannot be flown without the operating limitations. You should be able to get a copy from Aircraft Registration in Oklahoma City.
Or, look on the airworthiness certificate and get the inspectors name. He should have a copy. If you run into a dead end call me and we can find out something.
Mel...DAR...972-784-7544

tin man said:
Rob
Is this airplane based at Hayward Khwd?
I so email me off line
Tom
Northern California
Its in AL
Mel said:
Rob,
The Operating Limitations are a part of the 8130-7 (Airworthiness Certificate). The airplane cannot be flown without the operating limitations. You should be able to get a copy from Aircraft Registration in Oklahoma City.
Or, look on the airworthiness certificate and get the inspectors name. He should have a copy. If you run into a dead end call me and we can find out something.
Mel...DAR...972-784-7544
Ok i'll call Oklahoma on mon
Thanks you all

Op Limits have to be noted in log book. Log book missing?

Hslightnin said:
Hello all
Im about to by a RV-4
this will be the first time ive bought a plane.
I had a pre buy done by a RV guy and he said there aren't any operation limitations to be found in the paper work
the owner has passed away and the family is selling the plane.
so my question is can I copy somebody else's or do i need the originals and if they are long gone what do I need to do.
Thanks
Rob
Are you saying there is not airframe log book with notation of what operation limits have been approved (by the builder).

Usually when you build a plane test and note the Op Limits in the log book; Op limits are stall, Vne, aerobatic maneuvers and so on. I am not sure, but I don't think 8130-7 (Airworthiness Certificate) has that? I could be wrong. It might say day night VFR, but no acro.

I think you can put the plane into Phase I with your local FISO coordination. Start another log book and do your on "operational limitation" notations in the new log book. You want to take it to Vne, do aerobatics, stall series. You note that in the log book if I am not mistaken: Loop, rolls, stalls, spins, etc... Once that is done the "operational limits" are approved and you can put it back into phase II (can take passengers and leave a restricted test area). If it does not note Day or night, VFR/IFR, you need to verify it meets the respective Regs, proper instruments and lights as required. It really is just you noting the limits and writing your name, pilot # down and signing it (I think).

It makes sense that you can't take passengers and fly to Vne until you have flown it there and noted it was checked. Same with acro. You can't take passengers for a loop until it has been done and noted. If you want a wing over, you hae to do it and note it.

Hope that helps George

Last edited:
In this case your "Experimental Operating Limitations" are far more than a notation in the logbook of performance specifications for certain maneuvers.. This is the document that is issued as part of your airworthiness certificate when the plane is certificated that spells out a whole pile of things, some related to actual performance details, but many other subjects as well...such as VFR, DAY, NIGHT, test area, AWC issuance details, etc...

Why they would become "lost" is puzzling...is the AWC still there? Typically the AWC is stapeled to the Op Limitations and 99% of the experimentals have the OpLims kept/stapled/attached/stored WITH the AWC. I can't say as I'd be overly anxious to go through getting a new OpLim issued for the plane...but that's just me!

Now, if we're talking about OpSpec's that's an entirely different issue.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein.

Plane in AL

HSLIGHTNIN,

I'm building a 9A in SE AL. If I can help from here, let me know. I don't know where in AL it is, but I'm always willing to fly my spam can I if can help.
Let me know.

Paul R
91300 waiting on wings

SteinAir said:
Why they would become "lost" is puzzling...is the AWC still there? Typically the AWC is stapeled to the Op Limitations and 99% of the experimentals have the OpLims kept/stapled/attached/stored WITH the AWC.
Cheers,
Stein.
I dont know how they got lost but they have been Found!!
I did a Title search and they sent me the CD from the FAA with the history of the airframe the Operation limitations were included, wasn't expecting it sure was a nice suprise.

PaulR said:
HSLIGHTNIN,

I'm building a 9A in SE AL. If I can help from here, let me know. I don't know where in AL it is, but I'm always willing to fly my spam can I if can help.
Let me know.

Paul R
91300 waiting on wings

I appriceate the offer, its in Elba
are you a A&P?
I think the paper trail has come to a end.

the plane hasnt run in a year and the rings arent set anymore, compression down to 20 on all 4 cyl.

I plan on changing the oil and running it up to temp to try and re seet the rings and do another compression test.
Thanks for the help you all
Robby

Robby,
I'm about 40 miles SE of Elba, in Geneva. I'm not an A&P but have two friends who happen to be IA's so if I can help, let me know. I've never seen the plane at Elba but there's an aircraft rebuilder in Elba that does alot of rebuilding of old planes. I think they have a website. The business is called Wingnuts.
Good luck

Paul R
waiting on wings