Marty Rogers

I'm New Here
Hi VansAirforce,
I'm new to Experimental aircraft and have an opportunity to purchase a partially completed project. I have a few questions; 1. Is is legal to do so? 2. If so will I then become the builder with maintenance privileges, etc.? 3. Or will this now become some sort of hibred project. If someone could fill me in I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm very serious about building just don't want to get stuck with something I did not anticipate. I'm sure there will be enough of that along the was as it is.
Thanks for the help.
Marty

Hi Marty, and welcome to VAF.

What you are proposing is not only legal, but quite common. A very large percentage of amateur-built aircraft are completed by a 2nd or even 3rd owner of the project. The requirement is that the aircraft must be 51% amateur-built. It does matter who, or even how many amateur builders are involved.

From a maintenance standpoint, anyone can perform maintenance on an experimental amateur-built aircraft. The only requirement restricted to the builder is the annual condition inspection. To qualify for that, you must be listed as a primary builder and show that you can competently perform the inspection. (The 51% rule does not apply here).
If you can do this you can be issued a repairman certificate to perform the condition inspection on that particular aircraft.

If you buy a project, you will need to obtain all the original builders construction logs to show that the aircraft meets the 51% rule.

Last edited:
Thanks for the article from Van's good read. Looks like as long as I receive the builders logs and bill of sale with the original bill of sale from Van's and the builder logs check out OK. I should be able to get an Airworthiness Certificate. And as long as the prior owner has followed the 51% rule I should be able to get a repairmen certificate as well. Additionally, Van's recommends checking with the local FSDO.

Anything else?

Marty

As long as the first builder has followed the 51% rule you should have no issues with the airworthiness certificate. For the Repairman certificate, the FAA inspector will want to see that you participated in the build and also that you have enough general knowledge about the airplane to safely inspect it.

It is Vans policy to send out the official FAA bill of sale only on request, after the purchase of all of the sub-kits. Make sure you contact Vans and have the Vans-supplied "builder number" transferred from the previous builder to yourself.

I bought an abandoned project with no documentation and I was worried. I sold the tail and bought an unfinished tail with documation and documented from that point on. I had no problems. I got a bill of sale when I bought the parts, sent it to Vans, they transferred the builders number to my name. Then they helped me with the document I needed to to register my plane. I layed awake at night worried about it but it went off without a hitch. Just be sure you get that bill of sale and get the builders number transferred in your name.

Van's recommends checking with the local FSDO

For your info, You basically just did. :) Larry

This is our VAF DAR expert

<n168tx(at)flytx.net>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993
175hp O-320
3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
FRIEND of the RV-1

Not a problem!!

Both of my 7's were projects in progress. The key is to get a very experienced person to do the pre buy. In most cases you'll save a ton of money and time in the build process.