flickroll

Well Known Member
I'm looking for an RV8 kit that has been started by someone else and is well along in the building process. I plan to call EAA on Monday, but in the meantime I have a question: how hard will this type of kit be to get experimental amateur built status? Does the fact that I will not have built the majority of the kit jeopardize amateur built? I realize I may not be able to obtain a repairman's certificate but I want to make sure the amateur built category is doable. If anyone can point me to documentation on this I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Jim Shannon

Jim,
When you purchase an "in progress" kit, you need to obtain evidence from the initial builder that the aircraft is amateur-built. This evidence includes a builder's log and pictures. You just need to show that it is amateur-built, not that YOU built it.
It may or may not jeopardize your ability to get the repairman certificate. As long as you can convince the FSDO that you know the construction well enough to competently perform the condition inspection, you may still be able to get the certificate.