AFSOCpilot

I'm New Here
Looking at buying an RV-4 that needs interior, avionics, and cowling/engine. Wondering what factors I should consider when buying something like this vs buying a brand new kit.

Also, are their builders who would complete something like this for me for the rigt price (I am very limited on time to be able to do this myself).

For the RV 4, there is a large amount of room for variation in the build quality, much more so than the later prepunched kits.

I would suggest you have someone who knows RVs, and the 4 in particular, take a good look at the plane, and render judgement on the workmanship.

As to hiring someone to finish it for you, well that is a bit of a hot topic.......The FAA frowns on such a thing.

Where are you located???? in not in the US, then the rules about a "hired gun" to finish the kit are probably different.

The big savings on something like this will more than likely be in the labor, in terms of years, not dollars.

I know this is not a lot of info, just a lot more to consider, but it sounds like you need to put some effort into educating yourself, getting the assistance of someone near you should be a top priority.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

Hi Derrick

I have a friend near you that runs a builder assist program in Sandersville, Ga. (KOKZ).

I'll be there today but his contact # is 478 232 9560 and I'll mention your project to him. ...name's Ray Lawrence.

Best,

Buy a good used flying one

If you don't want the thrill of building just buy a good flying one.
Get it thoroughly inspected by at least one qualified person.
It may and probably would cost you more to buy a partially completed one and get it finished by another builder.

Last edited:
RV4

Derrick,

I'm about 100 miles east of you in Quincy. I've built an RV8 and would like to hear the story on this RV4 project if you back out on it. If it's not too far away, I wouldn't mind looking at it for you. If interested, email me at [email protected] or call 850-875-5076. Good luck.

David

If you don't want the thrill of building just buy a good flying one.
Get it thoroughly inspected by at least one qualified person.
It may and probably would cost you more to buy a partially completed one and get it finished by another builder.

I'd love to build one, but being an active duty Air force pilot doesn't give me the time to do such.

I am moving to cannon Air Force base, which is in the middle of nowhere so getting to a big city every weekend is my motivation for getting my own plane!
I love the RV-4 and the speed/maneuverability is what appeals to me.

Also, I don't see many out there that are IFR capable with an O-360 engine, so I figured finishing off a project that is near completion with the specifics I want would be idea.