grantcarruthers

Well Known Member
How much can I do as the buyer of an experimental? I've heard conflicting reports from people I'd have thought would know. I had been under the impression that I could do anything other than the Annual/Condition Inspection but have gotten some conflicting opinions from local EAA'ers that A+P supervision and sign offs are required. I 'think' they're confusing LSA rules with experimental but thought I'd check here before I get in trouble with the FAA.

What I had done was install a new oil temp probe and other simple stuff not that it matters much. I know it's outside the oil change and bearing lube you can do as a cerified aircraft owner but I thought I had more freedom as owner of experimental??

I have not flown yet so if a sign off or A+P re-do is necessary there's time to fix the legality if needed (in case the FAA is reading this):D

Thanks

You may do ALL maintenance and/or modifications on your airplane. You may NOT do the Condition Inspection.

Thanks Mel, I was really hoping to get an answer from you. Heartfelt thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and share your knowledge here.

Surprised

That really surprises me (not that I am questioning you Mel). If the premise behind giving a builder the repairman's certificate is that he knows the airplane better than anyone having built it, it doesn't make sense that someone who buys the plane would be presumed to have this level of knowledge.

What am I missing?

Antony

Remember, you're dealing with a government agency.

This brings up a common statement that is made at the beginning of each and every DAR Seminar. At the start of every seminar Brad Outlaw, the controlling Guru over DARs, says that "We don't answer 'why' questions!"
Bottom line is that there is no regulation that prohibits anyone from doing maintenance on an experimental aircraft. However your operating limitations limit who can sign off the condition inspection.
The "repairman certificate" allows you to sign off the condition inspection.

That really surprises me (not that I am questioning you Mel). If the premise behind giving a builder the repairman's certificate is that he knows the airplane better than anyone having built it, it doesn't make sense that someone who buys the plane would be presumed to have this level of knowledge.

What am I missing?

Antony

I do not pretend to be an expert as to WHY the FAA does or says things but my guess is..................

Since anyone can build a plane (no certificate required) I am guessing the FAA presumes anyone can work on or modify one.

Once the plane is built however they presume the original builder posesses the knowledge (as would an A&P) to determine continued airworthiness whereas the new owner may not.

What am I missing?

Antony
Conceptually it's not dramatically different from certified aircraft.

It requires an IA to sign off an annual rather than an A&P. It gives you an additional level (theoretically) of scrutiny for the yearly look.

Why not an IA on Experimental? Who knows, other than that little passenger warning that it is is an experimental amateur built aircraft!

Perhaps all of the confusion comes from the cert being called a "repairman's certificate" when it really should be called an "inspector's certificate".

Why not an IA on Experimental? Who knows, other than that little passenger warning that it is is an experimental amateur built aircraft!

Because an IA is required to do an "ANNUAL" inspection. An annual inspection is to confirm that the aircraft meets it's "type certificate". An experimental aircraft has no type certificate therefore "annual" inspection does not apply.