meanstreakii

I'm New Here
Hey gang - new to this forum. Looking to get into and RV and wanted to ask opinions about buying vs building. Buying would likely be an RV6 while building would be an RV7. Aside from the difference in cost, does a 6 have any issues? what should I be looking for?

PS up in canada , still have 2 feet of snow on the ground
ra

Info

Building takes soooooo long but you learn lots. There are some great planes that come up at good prices. I have a friend in Calgary and in Saskatoon that have bought used 6's in the last while. If they don't chime up pm me and I will send you their contact info. I am sure they can give you some good info

Find a low priced simple 6 for about 35 to 45k.

Then start building your 7. You will learn a lot by owning the six and cleaning it up. You will have something to fly and also be ready for your new airplane. When the seven is done, or you run out of money then sell the six.

Prices are much better now than they were in 2009

when I bought my kit.

Advantages of building for me: No loan, build the panel the way I want it, as Rick said learning alot, get your repairman's certificate.

Disadvantages: Spend almost as much as if you bought a flying one now, spend about $2-3,000 on tools, spending $100-150/mo to rent 172's and stay current while building, no trips with the family, not much spare time for ANYTHING if I want to finish in 2 years, money does not go out evenly over time as it would with a loan(big money on the last 1/3 of build for me(engine/prop/avionics).

It will be worth it in the end for me...but I would much rather be flying right now. If you build, loads of patience required! Have fun no matter which way you go. Read TKATC recent write up. What a trip!! And with his first plane.

Welcome Robert! Somebody wise on this forum said long time ago if question of build vs buy arises - BUY :)

Find a low priced simple 6 for about 35 to 45k.

Then start building your 7. You will learn a lot by owning the six and cleaning it up. You will have something to fly and also be ready for your new airplane. When the seven is done, or you run out of money then sell the six.

Gasman's got it. Building isn't a short-term deal, as you know. I tried to do this, but couldn't get it past the the CFO (chief female officer aka 'she that must be obeyed')

Having a flying airplane during the build would be optimal, but beware of the trail of builders who got too distracted by their flying airplane and never finish the project -I've seen several in my 5 yrs on the forum.

thanks - keep it comming, lots to learn

I wanted to build but being a father and having a full time job, I figure even a quick build kit at 1000 hours will take me two to three years (at the same time, my two boys could help, great way to spend some time together - maybe??). A good friend of mine built a 6 (back before panels were punched) and said it was a ton of work.

I like the idea opf buying a cheap 6 and moving up a few years down the road. lots of questions about weight and balance (at 210 lbs, and can't take full fuel and a drinking buddy at 1600 lbs MTOW). I see that on the Van web site, you can register MTOW yourself - is this true?

RA

What do you like to do with your free time?

If you have free time and enjoy projects build a plane. If you want to fly...buy a plane. Either option results in the same ending.

That is true. If your friend tips in at 210 also, then you have room for 21 gallons of fuel or three hours of flying................... not unless you want to do an overnighter!!

Hey gang - new to this forum. Looking to get into and RV and wanted to ask opinions about buying vs building. Buying would likely be an RV6 while building would be an RV7. Aside from the difference in cost, does a 6 have any issues? what should I be looking for?

PS up in canada , still have 2 feet of snow on the ground
ra

Hi Rob,

I'm Rick's friend in Calgary that recently bought a 6, after having about 2 years into building a 7. I head up to Edmonton now and then (my sister lives in St. Albert). I'll pm you with contact info. With any luck we can connect and you can look over my bird and we can take a free flight that will cost you more than you'd ever thought you'd be glad to spend... but you will. The answer to your question (build or buy) is specific to your circumstances, so I can't tell you what is right for YOU, but I do have perspective that I think can help.

Where do you fly out of?

I like the idea opf buying a cheap 6 and moving up a few years down the road. lots of questions about weight and balance (at 210 lbs, and can't take full fuel and a drinking buddy at 1600 lbs MTOW). I see that on the Van web site, you can register MTOW yourself - is this true?

RA

I understand the draw of building, but having seen myself sell two houses with unfinished basements that I had fully intended to finish when I bought them, I knew building would not really be in the cards for me at this point.

So, I went shopping.

I wouldn't let the gross weight shown on the Van's site steer you from a 6. I bought a 6 a couple months ago and its' gross weight is listed as 1800 lbs. I was at about 1700 lbs (2-up, full fuel) when I departed a 5000' elevation airport about 6 hours ago. I think the AWOS was calling a density altitude of around 7000' at the time.

Someday I think building a 12 is probably the ticket for me. Maybe in 10 years or so.

Best of both worlds...

is like Cliff Gerber and I did, bought a flying -6a whilst building. Result was we put about 400 hrs of RV time in, and 4 years later my own -6a was done, so had a very current test pilot, me... And a fresh Repairman's Cert. Would do it again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't trade the experience of building, the people I met, the help I got, the fun of flying the first flight, but if someone ask me "build or Buy today, I'm not sure what answer I would give them. You have to really want to build, it has to be one of thaws things that comes from deep in side you. Time is a real issue and if you can't devote the right balance of time you may find you will get discouraged and may end up with a expensive shop of parts. "Building is EZ, finishing is hard". Good luck on your choice.

Build

If you buy and fly you will have a trivial difference in you life - it is simply flying in a different airplane. How long does that thrill last - if it is very long then something is wrong with the airplane or your flying. If you build an airplane it is an experience that is on a different level and it lasts forever. This is beyond the custom gadget considerations.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Buy

You will find the 6 is much more nimble that the 7. I know as I just happen to have both and the 6 is for sale.... Look up pictures at www eaa chapter 1267, go to members aircraft and check out Dave Cooks aircraft.... If it looks like something you would be interested in, I'll get the spects to you.Dave

One more thing

There is NO greater thrill than lining up on the runway in an aircraft that you have put your blood, sweat and tears into. I know as I have built three RVs and have about 2000 hours in them...... And love them

Only you could know

Having a flying airplane would be great, but aside from the time flying it, it also has to be maintained, more time. Then there is your other plane that you are building, lots more time. Only you could know if this would be good for you, and your family. I would think it would take a organized and driven individual to accomplish this and keep peace in the family. No matter what you do, welcome to the club! FWIW, I built cause I wanted to, and cause I couldn't afford to buy, no regrets. Being 30, I hope to enjoy the many years of flying my plane and saving money every year at annual time, which could add up to be quite a bit in the end.

Randy
8A

it very simple.

You build and airplane because you want to build and airplane.

If you want to fly an RV, buy one.

everybody that I have ever know that started to build just because they wanted a ( insert aircraft type here ) never finished the plane.

I will admit that I know a few that just wanted an airplane but found out soon into the project that they enjoyed the building aspect.

bob burns
N82RB RV-4

My opinion.... Build Vs's Buy!

I have been working on my slow build 6 for 14 years, and just recently I took the fuselage out of the Jig.

I am too much of a perfectionist as I only want to build one plane.
All my little kids are now college age and older.

What I have finished is very nice, and ready to use. These finished parts are all done up to full paint.

The forum joke is 90% done, 90% to go.

If you want to fly in less than 5 years, buy one that is already done, just be careful and have someone who REALLY knows alot about airplanes, engines, and RV's especially. I have seen some that are fabulous inside and out, and some that when inspected should be passed by.

I will get mine done, and the new prepunched stuff would have saved me ton's of effort and time building jigs and spacing and drilling holes.

The available inventory of affordable RV's will probably never be better than it has been this year.