Darren S

Well Known Member
It's been 3 days of laying on my back under the panel of my slider -7. I'm changing the steam gauges to an Advanced 4500. Dang uncomfortable, awkward and it sucks when stuff falls on your face.

Anyways, I don't have the manual for my Bendix King KMD 150. I pulled it out of the tray today. There is a big plug in the back, with a ton of wires and a cable for the GPS. It is buried way up there ! I have to hook up a Trio Pro Pilot controller head. I'm lost.

The Trio head is on the way (by Friday) so I don't know what the back of it looks like. I was hoping that there would be an open port on the back of the B/K where the Controller head would plug into. No suck luck.

Can someone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks,

Darren

Avionics Interconnect

You're going to need a copy of the installation manual for your KMD-150...or at least the pages that show the pin-out connection table(s). In general, Honeywell restricts installation manuals to dealers/avionics shops...but you might find one on the internet to download or find a friendly dealer.

Your autopilot should come with it's own installation manual showing the connections needed for power, ground, GPS input, servo inputs/outputs, etc.

Once you understand the connections required you can either fabricate your own harness or have an avionics shop make one for you (Steinair comes to mind...).

If you haven't made a harness before, it's not too hard but you'll need the correct pins for each unit, crimping tool(s), wire in appropriate size(s) and colors, etc. The cost can add up, and if you have to buy all the stuff you need it may be cheaper to buy a custom harness.

Good luck,
Mike

Ok thanks Mike,

A guy nearby is building a -7A. I think I can use his crimpers etc... to make a harness. I'll dig around the net and see if I can find the pin layout for the back of the B/K. One of the big disadvantages of not building your own airplane is that everything is foreign and I have to start from Zero with the detective work.

Where there is a will there is a way:)

Darren