idleup

Well Known Member
I drilled the holes in the gooseneck hinges for the tip up canopy to 23/64 as per the instructions, but did not enlarge them to 3/8" because the bushings already would go in with only about 1/16" showing. I used the squeezer to seat them flush but they will pop out with minimal effort... I guess the drill bit wiggled or something.

Anyway, my questions is if I should use Loctite 262 (the red stuff) or if I should try to use regular blue loctite? I am concerned about the hinge pivoting about the bushing since it is not tight enough in there, but if I use the red loctite on brass then it will be in there for good.

Please advise.

A little trick to help

This is an old trick that might help. If you can get a hold of a ball bearing (1/2" or larger). Set the ball bearing on the hole. Back the other side up. Gently tap the bearing. This will cause the hole to close up on one side. Repeat the process on the other side. Then you may have solved your problem.

The material drilled is either 6061 or another soft aluminum so it is not that uncommon to have an enlarged hole. I reamed mine to .375 and found the bearing slipped in without much friction. After the ball bearing trick they pressed in just fine. :) Adding the loctite (Red) wouldn't hurt in addition.

Paul

Why not use the proper Loctite produce, bearing and sleeve retainer? I forget its number but its green. Otherwise, use the red.