dick seiders

Well Known Member
A question to those of you who are flying the 12.
I am under the impression we are to burp the engine at start of each days first engine start to check oil level with all oil in the tank. Since burping is likely a wear issue esp. on prop, gears, and other engine components etc. It seems to me this is not necessary nor a good thing to do.. Each time I check before burp the oil is at bottom of flat on the dipstick, and comes up to about the halfway point on flat after burp. If we are not using oil; (ie, the oil is essentially at the same level on stick before burp). Why burp?
Appreciate all your comments on this.
Thanks
Dick Seiders (16 hrs and counting)

As long as you are turning the prop in the correct direction, there is no "wear and tear" on the gearbox or engine. If you turn the prop in the wrong direction, you can cause significant problems to the gearbox, as well as introduce air into the system.

That said, after 600 hours on a Rotax 912ULS, we have yet to add any oil between oil changes (every 25 hrs in our case). As long as there aren't leaks, you shouldn't have a problem. If you have oil to the bottom of the flat area on the dipstick without burping, you obviously have enough oil and there's no need to burp.

Although burping will not harm anything, I don't burp very often. I do check to make sure oil shows on the flat part of the stick. If my plane had multiple users I might do differently. But, nobody else uses it, I do my own maintenance, and it is usually locked in my hangar when not in use. Just don't get too complacent.

I was taught to do what the manafactures say which is burp the engine before every flight takes 30 seconds and helps lubricate the engine before start and also gives an indication of any other problems ie leaking valves etc

Thanks guys. The concern I have is mostly for the prop. I can't see how yanking on it at or near the tip daily is a good thing. I will still check the oil before every flight as is my custom. If it's below the flat on the stick then I'll burp it. Thanks for your input.
Dick Seiders N678AD

Hey Dick

I found on my last 912S, that if you taxied a long ways at or near idle, it would build up oil in the engine. It would indicate below the flat on the stick, but if burped, it would be near the top of the flat. Not sure how common that might be, but turning it over is not hurting anything. I'd check it until you know how yours is. Much faster burping also, if you do it warm. Takes less SLOW turns.

John Bender

I only burp if the oil level is not in the acceptable range without the burp. All that "burping" does is return oil in the engine to the tank, so the oil level will rise. If it's already in the acceptable range, great, no need to burp.

TODR