gpiney

Well Known Member
Hit a 'bump' today. Maybe some one who has already built a -1 fuselage can help with.

I am starting final install of the fuse skins. The second step on page 8-35 says to partially remove lower clecos in F823 so you can blind rivet a couple holes at the bottom of the spar opening.

My problem is that when all cleco'd up, there is no clearance behind the holes because of the center section blocking the hole. Both the fore and aft holes are blocked. I know a pulled blind rivet needs rear clearance. Even if I Put the Rivets in, will I get the skin back in place up against the center section?

Thanks in advance,

Bump

Hi Greg,

We have completed this step on our -1 fuselage and there was just enough clearance for the pulled rivets. If I remember correctly some of the rivets actually touch the center section but the skins are in place.

If I ever get to do this again I would rivet the forward and mid skins together around the spar opening on the bench, and then Cleco the assembly to the fuselage. Doing it this way would eliminate the need for blind rivets and make the bucking of those AN470's around the spar opening much easier.

Hope this helps.