Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
My buddy and I have talked about this since around day 1 of the build...but now it's getting time to actually try to figure out if this is doable...

Anyone have any experience putting a camera in the top fairing on the VS? If so, what model/type? Did you just glass it in?

I did a search, but couldn't really find a thread that was quite on topic...

Thanks!

Steve

Bullet cams

I had one on top and one on bottom of my prior RV6a. Panel switch to change from one cam to the other for recording. Used aircraft power to run cameras and had microphone permanently in earcup of headset. Recorded to JVC GZ-MG255U camcorder. JVC has another current model that can record analog input also. That ability is not on most camcorders so you have to search for it. Once you install the system you should use it on every takeoff and landing. I am still kicking myself for not recording our aborted take off when we hit the perimeter fence at 42 knots. At least the Grand Rapids EFIS was on auto record. Pictures of cam:

IMG_2503%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

IMG_2504%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

Dale
RV6a was N241BD, now N18XP

Last edited:
I did this back in 2005

The following camera setup installed in the fiberglass tip of the VS:
camera hd230cwx with remote $179.99
3 end part 25ft cable $15.00
2.97mm lens $15.00 The wide angle lens is the key to getting both wingtips into the field of view. Camera power comes from the aircraft 12V and image recorded on a Sony DCR-HC40

Just notched out the fiberglass tip and glassed it in. I think I wrapped something like electrical tape around the bullet cam first to help release it later if I really wanted to. Make sure your lens will get both wing tips in and it's better if you can buy it with the right lens already installed instead taking the stock one off and putting on the wide angle. Made a mounting bracket and use the tripod location built into the bottom of the camera to secure the camera in the cockpit where I can get to the controls while flying. It was worth it as I prefer that video perspective over all the other ones I've seen tried.