DrWalker

The previous builder claimed to have built all of the bulkheads, so I wondered why F-402 was still in four pieces. It turns out that F-402 intersects with two ribs (F-413) which attach to the F-401 & F-404 Firewalls.

I successfully bent parts F-442, which are attachment points that fit on both sides of F-413 ribs, as well as F-443 (L&R) which are on the opposite end of the ribs F-413.

But I could not locate an aluminum angle piece that connects the two ribs via F-442L & R. Are these angles, when not specified by part number always fabricated by the builder?

And did I screw up when I cut a chunk out of an aluminum angle that appears to be destined for the top of F-413 ribs for use in constructing the the aforementioned connector between F-442(L&R)

For more details go here:

http://rv-4log.blogspot.com/2011/09/bulkhead-f-402-dilemma.html

Thanks

Building order

Hi

Having revisited my plans, and checked on my 4, and with the benefit of hindsight can I suggest you reconsider you build order. From what I have seen in the photo what you have done looks OK......... but it might not line up with the engine mount.

IMO the best way of proceeding is to get your jig sorted make up the bulkheads that are straightforward, and build the skeleton first. When you do this its like a big jigsaw and things start to make sense. You can see the points where things have to line up with each other on opposite sides of the firewall and bulkheads and are far less likely to mess up.

We all mess up sometimes!!

Yes all the angle pieces have to be cut to length....... measure three times before cutting!!

I remember I had difficulty with these parts and ordered new bits which in the end I did not use....... hey ho! Remember these parts carry load from the engine mount along that 1/8th angle though to the spar, so you want them right.

I will try to do some photos for you today and put them on my blog so you can see what they look like finished.

Regards

Build Order

Hi

Having revisited my plans, and checked on my 4, and with the benefit of hindsight can I suggest you reconsider your build...

IMO the best way of proceeding is to get your jig sorted make up the bulkheads that are straightforward, and build the skeleton first.

I have come to the conclusion that your advice is sound. I have set aside this assembly and resumed building the skeleton. And now that I know not to look for specific angle pieces - that helps as well.

Thanks for posting the photo's.

Thank you

Thank you........

Looking into this for you made me realise I would have forgotten to fit the two angle brackets that connect to the spar, so what I have done is to fix them in place on the 1/8th angle on top of the ribs.

These of course can only be drilled accurately through the spar carry through as the skeleton is being built.