Wayne

Well Known Member
My local airport has no fuel services so I am contemplating a purchase of a 100+ gallon slip tank to store av gas for my planes. I was told that since av gas is different than mo gas there can be some problems with a non av gas fuel delivery system i.e. seals breaking down and possible contamination of the av gas. Anybody have any experience or suggestions as to what has worked for you ?

Thanks

Wayne Pedersen
Rv7a going to the paint shop

Bulk Fuel Storage

Wayne said:
My local airport has no fuel services so I am contemplating a purchase of a 100+ gallon slip tank to store av gas for my planes. I was told that since av gas is different than mo gas there can be some problems with a non av gas fuel delivery system i.e. seals breaking down and possible contamination of the av gas. Anybody have any experience or suggestions as to what has worked for you ?

Thanks

Wayne Pedersen
Rv7a going to the paint shop

Wayne,
I've stored fuel on the farm in 550 gal underground tanks and 175 gallon above ground tanks with hand crank pumps to dispense fuel. I"ve also seen guys build tanks on trailers to pull to gas stations to get Auto gas.
100 gallons isn't much gas, maybe you are just going to use this source on a need to basis? How are you planning to get the av gas? Around here the small airports hook up and split a tanker load, because they can't store a full truck load. Be careful of static electricity.
Bob Martin

Solution?

Hi Wayne.

Northern Tool has several fuel storage solutions and if you got a little creative I bet you can find a fairly inexpensive solution. Check out their transfer tanks and their small trailers.

www.northertool.com

Good luck.
Bill N-7BA

I have a 50 gallon trailer that I have used for 100LL that I am selling, if interested. It has a battery and 12V fuel pump with gas station type hose and nozzle. I also have a static grounding system for it. It works very nice. I used it for auto fuel at first, but use it for 100LL now.

Roberta

refueler19yf.jpg

refueler25jy.jpg

Fuel Trailer

Roberta,
Wow......what a cool rig....
You really know how to do it first class.
I have too ask......how much are you asking for it??
and the story behind building it, using it for Auto fuel and now 100LL??
and why are you ready to part with it?
Bob Martin
Virginia

My best friend, and fellow RV builder has a grass strip about 10 miles out of town (no on field gas) and for years has had a 50 gallon tank mounted on the back of his pickup with an electric pump. Linnard would buy mo gas in town and fill his C-140 as needed. I used the pickup many times to go to town and buy mo gas for both my C-182 and RV-6A. Never a problem.

But Wait, $3.00 a gallow mo gas!!! Linnard now uses the pickup tank to go to the airport and buy av gas at $2.48 a gallon!!! He now pumps av gas into his automobiles as well as his airplanes......

I hope he has a supply of catalitic converters. The lead in AVgas will stop up a catalitic converter pronto.
Mel...DAR

I built it in 2002 to pump premium auto fuel into my SeaRey. The SeaRey only had an 18 gallon tank, so I had room for several fills. After I sold the SeaRey, we cleaned out the auto fuel and filled it with 100LL for my 7A to initially fill the tanks for testing. We live on a private strip and have no fuel service here. We have two airports within 8 miles of us, so it is more convenient to just fuel up there. It is a very handy rig for snowmobilers, ultralights, and auto fuel users and those using AV gas that just don't have easy access to fuel.

It's built on a 4' trailer chassis and has a double thickness 3/4" ply bed. The Rubbermaid house is set onto the trailer and the tank set inside. The tank bolts to the trailer bed, holding everything in place. The reason we made it that way is due to the questionable legality of a fuel trailer in Wisconsin. This way the trailer is rather discreet looking and appears to be just a odd looking trailer that someone is filling gas can in and appears ordinary on the road.

I'm looking to get around $700.00 for it.

Roberta