Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So I know I have been posting alot recently but yet again I have another question.

I have been given the opportunity to purchase a set of 7 Wings from a local forum member that came from a ground looped airplane. There was no damage to the wings what so ever due to the accident. During the salvage rescue, a tie down was cinched to tight creating a 1/2 to an Inch long tear in one of the wing skins at the skirt. A Wing tip was cracked and a quarter size dent was put in the leading edge just out from the tank. Now the way I see it the repairs would be fairly easy, replace the entire skin that has the tear and place a landing light where the dent is, replace the wingtip. Now my next question involves the center section, I know these are shipped with wings and the wings I could possibly purchase do not include it. Would it be just a matter of a phone call to vans to tell them I need to purchase the entire center section or what would need to take place. I am seriously considering this offer simply because of the price and the amount of time that could be saved by going this route. The Wings have been inspected by Mel and he approves of them as well. Am I leaving anything out?? What are your thoughts on if this opportunity was given to you??
-david

I'd pass. They aren't all that hard to build, especially with the new pre-punched kits. In addition, the wing spars are match-drilled to the center section which would still be in their fuselage. You *might* be able to mate the wings to a new center section, but why risk it.

pass on them... pass on quick build

the wings are very enjoyable to construct... they get big fast and are quite rewarding; the skills gained are good preparation for the fuselage. also, don't miss out on building the tanks; pro seal is really not that bad and it is something of a rite of passage in the build. the only issue that i struggled with was planning for the scale of duplication with two of the same structures to build. i did not want to be faced with a sense of completion followed by a restart of the same work so i chose to build both wings at the same time.

David,
I built a set of the older "pre-punched" wings. I found the wing kit to most tedious part of the project. Lots or repetitive tasks, like straightening ribs. Two other ways to repair the dent in the leading edge:

1 Remove the fuel tank and hire a "dent wizard" [with experience in working aluminum] to remove the dent. These folks use old school hammer and dolly skills to repair the damage. Usually, no repainting is needed for the repaired area. Ask if the tech has removed dents in an Austin Healy or a 1991 to 1993 Mazda RX7. Both of these vehicles have aluminum body panels.

2 Fill the dent with micro-balloons and epoxy.

A number of listers have reported having to replace a wing. The reports seem to indicate that the replacement wing spar bolt holes line up with the old.

I think that you will succeed with either path.

Charlie Kuss

center section

I had a similar situation come up concerning used wings. I called Van's and asked about center section price......$850.00! I'm going to build my own.

$850 For the Center section plus about $230 for a wingtip and 80 for a wing skin...... Sound like thats going to break the deal for me. :(

I used a set of prepunched wings that I bought from a builder that had lost his medical, the center section was not an issue. I ordered a QB fuse from vans, and asked about sending the old center section in. They said to not bother, the new stuff they make is so consistent that they would provide a new one.

They sent out another center section with the QB at no charge. The wings fit into the fuse perfectly. I have an extra center section for an 8 that will most likely not ever be used.

I would try to use them if possible, like chaskuss said the wings are kinda boring.

Maybe the wing price is not set in stone--explain to the seller the issues you are up against.

I'll echo the sentiments of others - I found the wings very enjoyable to work on. The tanks with the proseal are the only part I didn't like, and even that wasn't too bad - you just have to have all your stuff ready to go when you mix and the clock is ticking, small batches were the key for me, two ribs at a time and set that tank aside, clean and prep and mix another batch for the other tank. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Then again, I'm completely nuts, I talk to my rivets as I set them... "Oh yes, you're going to fly with me..."

trying to match drill rear spar would be fun... it's not like you have wiggle room in case you miss that existing hole in the wing stub..

$850 For the Center section plus about $230 for a wingtip and 80 for a wing skin...... Sound like thats going to break the deal for me. :(

You'll end up buying a center section sooner or later anyway. Wingtips are fiberglass so, depending on damage it can be repaired. Dents also can be fixed easily(at least I hope so since I dented mine moving it to the rivet table).

So while I wouldn't pay "kit" price for a damaged wing. I'd check with Vans to ensure it should bolt up to a new center. If so make a counter offer that you feel good about.

trying to match drill rear spar would be fun... it's not like you have wiggle room in case you miss that existing hole in the wing stub..

actually it's not that tough if you make a transfer template. then start small and ream to fit

Last edited:
I second that

the wings are very enjoyable to construct... they get big fast and are quite rewarding; the skills gained are good preparation for the fuselage. also, don't miss out on building the tanks; pro seal is really not that bad and it is something of a rite of passage in the build. the only issue that i struggled with was planning for the scale of duplication with two of the same structures to build. i did not want to be faced with a sense of completion followed by a restart of the same work so i chose to build both wings at the same time.

I've gotta agree with Stephen on this one. I can't speak to the fuselage but I've enjoyed the wings thus far. It is a bit repetetive but it's a great feeling when all the little parts you've worked on began to look like a wing. It makes you proud because "you" did it. I thought about a quick build wing but I'm really glad I went the SB route. I'm just starting on the tanks but I've enjoyed it so far. I work on the plane when I want to and I think that makes it more enjoyable for me.

YMMV

The wings sound like a very viable option to me...especially if they have never been painted (makes repairs much easier, and can then be painted to match with the rest of the airplane( but I would work the seller on the price a bit. I don't think they are worth that much considering the repairs needed (just my opinion).

You will have a different type of challenge match drilling the rear spar attach hole to the fuselage, but it can be done.

Just one comment....do not install a landing light just outboard of the fuel tank for the purpose of making a dent go away...structurally a very poor location choice for a landing light. Just fill and finish the dent.

Last edited: