Lct727

I'm New Here
I was wondering if anyone had knowledge on the required practical experience need to gain your A&P license and if so, would building an RV kit constitute toward the practical experience time needed. Thanks....

Actually according to the regulations, all experience must be on certificated aircraft. The reasoning being that you are working to a "standard" (the type certificate).
Having said that, I know of several people who have obtained their A&P based on building amateur-built aircraft.
It depends on the FAA facility you are working with. It seems that the overall trend is to allow amateur-built experience to count.

There were actually two presentations at Oshkosh that covered this. Both presenters knew folks that did it that way. Both also said to find a FSDO that will work with you and keep VERY detailed notes on what you did during your build and maintenance.

FSDO

Actually according to the regulations, all experience must be on certificated aircraft.

Like Jon said, it's up to the FSDO according to the examiner that I heard give the forum speech. He said there wasn't anything that said it must be work on a certificated aircraft. But that each FSDO may interpret it differently.

The examiner also mentioned that you don't have to have your work signed off by a A&P, but that keeping your own logs to show what you did is a very good idea. Which all of us builders are doing anyways!

Chris.