atalla

Well Known Member
Hey all.
Iv through a video together of some work to the practice tool box. I am making lots of mistakes such as contacting the hinges while setting rivits, under dimpling, burrs in holes after dimpling just to name a few. I'd love feedback from all you and your going to find more I'm sure. I will continue with the build and move onto the control surface once I work out some bugs.

http://youtu.be/aFa6XbD-YTQ

Enjoy

Tool box

Andrew. Cool video. Noobies may want to see that.
Flip the dies on your DRDT. Male on bottom. That helps keep debris from contaminating the female die.
Vans has noobies dimple the hinge but that's rarely done on the plane because it warps the hinge. Plane hinges are countersinked. No big deal on the tool box. Maybe I don't remember but I thought the hinge was higher.
In general, you adjust dimple dies so they touch but I use a c-frame.
Should be a nice tool box. Mine was ugly. Gave it away.

Looks like a nice video. I am wondering if you can build the box with just a rivet squeezer. I've wanted to try it but I don't have a compressor or any air tools. What do you think?

And as a non-builder, I like the suggestion of flipping the dimple dies. It should remove that awkward need to kind of drop the piece as the male die comes down to meet the female.

Andy

Andrew. Cool video. Noobies may want to see that.
Flip the dies on your DRDT. Male on bottom. That helps keep debris from contaminating the female die.
Vans has noobies dimple the hinge but that's rarely done on the plane because it warps the hinge. Plane hinges are countersinked. No big deal on the tool box. Maybe I don't remember but I thought the hinge was higher.
In general, you adjust dimple dies so they touch but I use a c-frame.
Should be a nice tool box. Mine was ugly. Gave it away.

I'm so glad you mentioned the hinges. Mine did warp along the spine and on its flat. I was able to correct the flat face by hand but I didn't notice the spine warp until I put the pin in. The door flexes when you open and close it. Not too happy with it but rather this than an aileron. I used a pheumatic squeezer not a drdt but yes I will flip the dies.

What is the procedure for cleaning out a hole that has been drilled to size but gets bunged up during dimpling? Should I just run the #40 through it again? In this case the part was partially riveted to I was worried about the lack of deburing.

Looks like a nice video. I am wondering if you can build the box with just a rivet squeezer. I've wanted to try it but I don't have a compressor or any air tools. What do you think?

And as a non-builder, I like the suggestion of flipping the dimple dies. It should remove that awkward need to kind of drop the piece as the male die comes down to meet the female.

Andy

I only have a 3" yoke if I had a 4" everything except the Handel would be doable I think.

Two things I noticed. First, the dies are not 'tight' enough. You really can't over squeeze dimple dies with a single piston squeezer. Tighten until they touch, let off the pressure (unplug the air) then tighten another half turn. There should be no distortion of the 'skin' around the dimple, only the dimple itself. Second the ram to the squeezer jumps up far to quickly. I don't know if that is how you are pressing the lever, or if the ram is tight in the yoke?? It should move up to the rivet very slowly if you press slow, which makes the whole process more controllable.

Thanks for your input mike. I am using a foot pedal and this is eliminates the feathering action of the squeezer. I agree with you and do think I'm under dimpling. I set the dies by bringing them into contact with the work Peice tightly and than adding a half turn to the set holder. I will try your method for the remainder of the build.

Cheers. Andrew.

I prefer the male dimple die on top, at least with the DRDT-2, and with a mounted pneumatic squeezer. It prevents the scratches on the outer surface you get when you "search" for the hole. I've never had a problem with debris in the female die.

Andrew,

The first thing I want to tell you, that I mean wholeheartedly is...

It isn't about your mistakes, it's how you fix them!

In the process of building my plane, I might have made a mistake or two. When people look at it, the usually don't see them straight off. That is the marque of a good mechanic. Putty and paint make a mechanic something he ain't. My plane is still unpainted! I think it came out okay.

The second thing is, order your tail kit now. Your skill set is better than mine when I started! They didn't have tool boxes when I started building, so,I Just sort of jumped in with both feet and began building!

I was shocked when I was able to use my tail feathers. I thought that I was going to have to throw them away!

Enjoy the ride. It is a good one!!!

:) CJ

Andrew,

The first thing I want to tell you, that I mean wholeheartedly is...

It isn't about your mistakes, it's how you fix them!

In the process of building my plane, I might have made a mistake or two. When people look at it, the usually don't see them straight off. That is the marque of a good mechanic. Putty and paint make a mechanic something he ain't. My plane is still unpainted! I think it came out okay.

The second thing is, order your tail kit now. Your skill set is better than mine when I started! They didn't have tool boxes when I started building, so,I Just sort of jumped in with both feet and began building!

I was shocked when I was able to use my tail feathers. I thought that I was going to have to throw them away!

Enjoy the ride. It is a good one!!!

:) CJ

Thanks you for the kind words sir. Having been a Technician now for 15 years, I have found whenever I build something the buddies who come over and look SEE EVERYTHING! haha. I guess we as gear heads/ builders notice things that the general pop won't.

Also, Having never build an airplane before, I'm concerned about Safety, in the ways of; Prevention of Cracks, Proper nesting of parts, tightness of fit, and squareness. I have seen a lot of different types of failures in many different machines and most issues come back to

Things being loose and vibrating to failure, rivets, hardware,broken welds
Abrasion, a wrongly placed zip tie can cause a lot of grief
Improper hold downs i.e. electrical,hyd,fuel,
Lack of adequate lubrication.

I have found by talking with other techs who are familiar with the issues at hand we all become better. "put 2 clamps there" "Don't over tighten this!" "Do this now or your going to hate life later!" This forum is awesome and one of the main reasons I have chosen Vans over other aircraft.

I hope to document my build on You Tube, The good the bad and the ugly of building my Rv-7. Should be an exciting adventure!

Thank you!

Hey. No tips from me... You are ahed of me ;)

Just wanted to say thank you for making those videos. Keep them coming if you have time for it.

Hey. No tips from me... You are ahed of me ;)

Just wanted to say thank you for making those videos. Keep them coming if you have time for it.

Thanks!
I'm waiting for a couple more tools to show up. back rivet set, 3/4 flush set and I had to modify my female dimple to use on the spar of the flap/aileron practice piece. After my dies warped it! :( Iv been filming. I'll be finishing the tool box and aileron soon and than I'll throw the videos up.

Last edited:
Videos

Thanks!
I'm waiting for a couple more tools to show up. back rivet set, 3/4 flush set and I had to modify my female dimple to use on the spar of the flap/aileron practice piece. After my dies warped it! :( Iv been filming. I'll be finishing the tool box and aileron soon and than I'll throw the videos up.

I think it's a great idea. Try and video "gotchas". Those videos would be a huge benefit to builders following you.
Also, I highly recommend a big mushroom swivel set. It doesn't punish for slightly off perpendicular. Big plus when you need a rookie to help set rivets.

I think it's a great idea. Try and video "gotchas". Those videos would be a huge benefit to builders following you.
Also, I highly recommend a big mushroom swivel set. It doesn't punish for slightly off perpendicular. Big plus when you need a rookie to help set rivets.

Great idea! I'll throw one in on the next tool buy for sure. What about the back riveting bucking bar? I've heard they provide smooth results even with beginners.

Hey Andrew, can you tell me how much time is required to make the tool box ? We will have an aviation day with the Air Cadet next summer. We have a 1h session on various theme (flight, engine, glider, chopper etc etc). I want to make a session on how to build an aircraft.
My idea was to build a tool box during this 1h. I will have 5 kids working on 1 tool box.
Did you think it's possible ?

Hey Andrew, can you tell me how much time is required to make the tool box ? We will have an aviation day with the Air Cadet next summer. We have a 1h session on various theme (flight, engine, glider, chopper etc etc). I want to make a session on how to build an aircraft.
My idea was to build a tool box during this 1h. I will have 5 kids working on 1 tool box.
Did you think it's possible ?

well there is no cutting other than the hinge. but even so i don't think an hour is nearly enough time to complete it. Match drill sides, debur, fit and drill hinge, dimple everything, and than start bucking rivets. bend and fit the handle.
i used a pneumatic squeezer which sped things along

If you just want them to set some rivets you can prep the pieces ahead of time and then complete the box with the Cadets.