WISC

Well Known Member
Gentlemen
I believe you can purchase an airplane for less than you can build one these days. However, I am interested in building but not sure if I have the skill, time, or patience. I am thinking of buying an empennage and giving it a try. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I buy an empennage kit from someone who has decided not to build or get one from Vans?
Thank you,

Find a good deal on a complete RV and purchase it......................

Then, If you get the bug to build (it does take a lot of time) then build and also fly the RV that you have. When the new RV is ready, sell the other one.

As far as your question.......... Recycle someones dreams instead of yours being recycled in the next year or so.

take a build workshop first...

there are a couple of great options for you to take a two day build workshop that will give lots of hands on time with tools and methods close to home...

axsys air at the frontier air park in lake stevens (www.axsysair.com)... they have a two day class this weekend, september 24-25.

synergy air (www.synergyair.com) in eugene... has a one day class october 22.

my wife and i took the 2 day class with Wally at Synergy and found it enormously valuable in moving forward with our build together.

both offer weeklong classes on the empennage.

i am building one and I am going to buy a completed one to fly until it's built, nothing wrong with that

i am building one and I am going to buy a completed one to fly until it's built, nothing wrong with that

I bought a aircraft thinking I would never build one. I keep however reading these forums and am thinking more and more about building a 8 exactly the way I want it. I am still not sure I have the ability so perhaps one of the workshops would be a great start.

George

Plenty to do on a flying one!

We bought a very nice flying 7a and let me tell you, there is plenty to learn and do just taking care of it, tweaking it and making small changes. We have a list of about 10 improvements we want to make at the conditional after just 6 months with the plane. The neat thing is, we get to fly it as we go along.

Plus, in this market you can certainly buy a nice flying plane for less than the parts cost.

Building would be awesome, but I am just not willing to commit the time at this point. Maybe after retirement!

We have a list of about 10 improvements we want to make at the conditional after just 6 months with the plane.

Don't wait for the conditional................

Do the things that will allow you to fly the plane at the end of the day or weekend.

Gentlemen
I believe you can purchase an airplane for less than you can build one these days. However, I am interested in building but not sure if I have the skill, time, or patience. I am thinking of buying an empennage and giving it a try. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I buy an empennage kit from someone who has decided not to build or get one from Vans?
Thank you,

Building and flying are two different sports. Which one do you want to do? If you do both, the building takes longer because your flying when you ought to be building. If you build, just call Vans. The economy needs you and getting the first box in the mail is one of lifes special experiences.

Fly and Build !

A buddy and I bought a flying -6a so as to fly and share the cost while building and it worked out really great. When my own -6a was flying we sold the first one. I became my own test pilot due to the fact I already had 400 RV hours and Phase one was a piece of cake.

Highly recommend this approach.

Build... On your knowledge of building before you decide.

I have been in the same boat as your are now. It's a tough choice because 1) time is valuable and building takes a lot of time, 2) there are flying RVs for sale for less than the cost to build, and 3) there is an unknown that goes with building, which is "will I complete the task and do it well?" Here's the way I addressed each of these:

1) I realized that I've spent a lot of time doing fruitless things in the past (i.e. watching TV, playing video games, seeing movies,etc.). While they were enjoyable, they were short term forms of entertainment and didn't really change me in a positive way. From what I've heard from others, and experienced so far myself, building an airplane can be a life-changing experience, bringing joy, challenge and fullfillment all in the same package. Sure you could "buy and fly," but it won't have the same meaning.

2) Understand that if you buy someone else's airplane, it's never really yours. You can't make modifications yourself unless you are the builder (signed off as the A&P for that plane) or a certified A&P mechanic. Building is challenging and not for everyone, however, if you have more than just a passing ambition to build your own airplane, the build will be one of the most enjoyable aspects for you, in some cases (like my friend Jeff) people enjoy the build more than the flying! Also, maintaining your own airplane saves a ton of bucks.

3) This was the hardest one for me... You can never know what life will throw at you. Therefore, there's no way to know whether or not you'll complete the project. However, if you never try, you'll never know. Metal-working skills can be learned fairly easily. That's why we were able to spit out so many aircraft, ships, etc. during WWII. Attend a Sport Air workshop. It will help you learn, while dipping your toe in the pool as well. Also, go to Oshkosh! It will remind you that building and flying is a lot different than buying and flying..

Good Luck.

CONDITION inspection

Don't wait for the conditional................

Do the things that will allow you to fly the plane at the end of the day or weekend.

Condition....condition......it's a Condition Inspection (as "in a safe condition for flight"). :)

2) Understand that if you buy someone else's airplane, it's never really yours. You can't make modifications yourself unless you are the builder (signed off as the A&P for that plane) or a certified A&P mechanic. Building is challenging and not for everyone, however, if you have more than just a passing ambition to build your own airplane, the build will be one of the most enjoyable aspects for you, in some cases (like my friend Jeff) people enjoy the build more than the flying! Also, maintaining your own airplane saves a ton of bucks.

Yes, you can modify a homebuilt even if you are not the builder! It doesn't have to be an [email protected] beauty of experimental aviation.

I have modified my -10 and have more mods in mind and I didn't build it.

Best,

Dean,
Buy unpainted, create your own scheme and enjoy! Smile will never leave your face.

We bought a very nice flying 7a and let me tell you, there is plenty to learn and do just taking care of it, tweaking it and making small changes. We have a list of about 10 improvements we want to make at the conditional after just 6 months with the plane. The neat thing is, we get to fly it as we go along.

Sam, You are correct! I pulled it from this post without thinking that you would be grading papers today. I am sorry. It will never happen again.

Gentlemen
I believe you can purchase an airplane for less than you can build one these days.

This is probably true but saving money isn't the only reason to build an airplane. I am surprised at how much I've learned about both the structure and systems. My 9A isn't flying yet but I know it inside out and I can't help but think that will make me a better pilot in any plane, and particularly in the one I built.

There's a lot of personal satisfaction in building your own plane and there's no other way to get this other than doing it yourself.

However, I am interested in building but not sure if I have the skill, time, or patience. I am thinking of buying an empennage and giving it a try. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I buy an empennage kit from someone who has decided not to build or get one from Vans?
Thank you,

Skill, time and patience are important but it is persistence that builds an airplane. In my case I seriously wondered about my skills. I was a pretty decent woodworker but never worked with metal. I bought Van's practice kit and made 'a mell of a hess' out it. It was utterly embarrassing how poorly I did. I bought a second practice kit and then decided I could do it. Most people can learn all the skills they need to build an RV.

Only you can assess how much time and patience you have. Likewise, only you can assess your interest. If you simply want to fly, buy a plane. If you want to know a plane inside out and have a certain kind of pride, build a plane. And if you can afford it, the two are not mutually exclusive.

"I'm a buyer not a builder". I enjoy doing the maintenance and making changes / upgrades. I've learned a lot about my airplane! I've also enjoyed being able to fly it regularly. Ad BillFear said, you will learn a lot just owning an RV.

I may choose, someday to build or "finish" a kit. For now, I'm learning and able to acquire both the knowledge and tools/parts in digestible quantities.

YMMV :)

I second this. I bought a very basic, well-built, flying, -6, and flew it largely unmodified for the first year. Now i'm making small tweaks here and there. I've pulled some old steam gauges (and a heavy vacuum system) and installed a Dynon D10A, upgraded the tailwheel, and am now upgrading the canopy (after finding a crack in the frame) with new paint and the canopy reinforcement kit.

Further upgrades seem to keep adding to the list as time goes on though... Newer pressure recovery wheelpants are on the horizon, and new gearleg fairings to replace the worn older two-piece ones, even electric trim is planned at some point too. But it's nice to be able to go fly most of the time, and just work on these upgrades when the weather is bad.