Don Jones

Well Known Member
I have now been working on my 9 long enough to comment about a few
things.

Pneumatic squeezers rock! -- I find myself trying to squeeze everything possible. Use it for dimpling ribs and what ever else I can get it to do.

Tungsten bucking bars are so worth the money-- I finally got to try mine out on 1 of the leading edges today. Awesome!! Small but heavy and works like a dream. Maybe I won't hate the rivet gun so;)

Reamers on pre-punched holes-- I bought a couple of reamers just to try. They make the de-burring process so much easier than drilling. Usually only the back side of the hole has anything to de-burr.

Oh, and the #1 observation---there is no such thing as owning too many cleco's!!!

Last edited:
Another tool I have found to help is a cleco gun, makes 400 + cleco in or out no problem. Its also only about $70. Guess you have a DRDT2 ? if not ,why !!...LOL , building is so much fun with good tools. :D

Another tool I have found to help is a cleco gun, makes 400 + cleco in or out no problem. Its also only about $70. Guess you have a DRDT2 ? if not ,why !!...LOL , building is so much fun with good tools. :D

Yes, have a cleco gun and the DRDT-2. Dang left the DRDT-2 off the list.
After beating on that stupid C-Frame for 1 HS skin the DRDT-2 is a must have.

The Pneumatic Squeezer is nice, but it will earn you a membership in the "Extra Hole" or "Figure Eight" club.

I haven't used the pneumatic squeezer on a rivet since I bought the "Main Squeeze" from Cleveland. That and the DRDT are really good.

Just got the Tungsten Bar, and looking forward to it.

Right tool for the right place

There is alot to be said for having an assortment of good tools, but I have to say I admire the guys who have the ability to use what is around them and make it work, I wish I was one of those guys, give the the right tool.

Randy

Here's mine - don't ask me how I know.

If you're building a tip-up remove the vinyl from the inside of the rear canopy before you fit it into the fuselage. It's impossible to remove the vinyl from behind that big channel.

Dave