N546RV

Well Known Member
Here's my situation: I currently live in a house with no garage. I have the means to get my build started early next year. As such, I'm currently embroiled in a housing search, so I can have The Workshop and get to banging rivets.

Today I looked at a house I really liked. Very nice place, very attractive price, two-car garage, etc. The downside is that it's sort of an upscale duplex; that is, it shares a wall with a neighboring home. In particular, the shared wall is one of the garage walls. Even though I really like the place and the price, I'm concerned about that shared wall when it comes time to fire up the rivet gun.

So the question is...realistically, how much of my (slow) build is going to involve loud operations? I found out this past weekend just how loud a rivet gun is...what I don't want is to end up with animosity between the neighbor and I. Especially since basically the entire purpose of this move is to have a place to build.

My gut feeling is to pass this place up and keep looking. Thoughts?

You'll make a lot of noise, I wouldnt' want to share a wall with a neighbor when my compressor is running (seems nonstop at times) and when the rivet gun or bandsaw is going

Having said that, some people have built in what appears to be nearly a 1car garage/closet, so it is do-able

In particular, the shared wall is one of the garage walls. Even though I really like the place and the price, I'm concerned about that shared wall when it comes time to fire up the rivet gun.
Shared wall in garage may be OK. How much time is your neighbor going to be in his garage? Most likely not a lot.

Its possible

You might have to be a little flexible when you pick up the rivet gun, but most of the work is drilling, deburring, assembling, disassembling, head scratching, etc. etc. These things aren't real loud so you could do most of them at almost any time. It is pretty nice to be able to work on what you want, when you want to.

Randy
8A flying
0-360 FP
Dirt simple and fast

I'd talk to the neighbors before you buy the house. It would be a little different to start building right when you moved in, than with people you already knew (in their eyes).

Even having lived in our current house, we made sure all the neighbors had our number -- and told them not to hesitate to call and tell us to shut up -- when my better half started to learn how to play the drums recently. We'll do the same once building commences shortly. In my experience, means folks may hear whatever noise it is, but don't mind as much since you are being so considerate...

We have cool neighbors though. :)

Oh, and using a squeezer and electric drill would go a long way on the noise.

A lot will depend on how you approach your neighbor and just when you will be building vs when they're going to be home.

If either of you do shift work, you will gain a lot of flexibility in when you can rivet as opposed to both coming home at 5pm after a hard day, then you getting stuck into your plane while he/she/it wants to relax.

By the same token, how you approach your neighbor will have a lot to do with how long they'll tolerate your rivet-banging. If you be upfront, and essentially say "if it annoys you at any time, sing out and I'll give it a rest", that puts the ball in their court when it comes to tolerance and gives them a feeling of power to say they've had a bad day and want some quiet time this afternoon.

I'm in a standalone house, but the garage is right next to the neighbour bedroom, and I let both sides know what's going on and if it gets too much to let me know. So far they've barely heard me building and I'm halfway through the fuselage with the tail and wings done.

Good advice here about talking to the potential neighbors first.

Also look into sound reduction materials for at least that common wall. Can you do a test before you move, making similar noise in your proposed garage and listening in the adjoining garage? Even the appearance of mitigation can make a big difference in attitudes.

I'm not sure that talking to the neighbours would be all that useful... If I lived in a duplex, didn't know anything about airplanes, and a potential owner came over and said "how would you feel about me building an airplane in the room next to yours, there will be rivet-banging, a compressor running, etc. from time to time?" I'd say "no."

I think you're better off to keep looking and find a fully detached house.

Walls

Hi

I have built an RV4, an RV9, a kitfox and lots of other stuff in my garage the wall of which is hared with my neighbours garage. I have a 3.5 horse compressor next to this wall.

latest I work is 10pm...... and have never had any complaints. In fact when I get to the point of a first engine run the neighbours come to watch!!

However I have very good neighbours and they like having a retired Cop living near them because I still lock up burglars when they break into neighbours houses. It doesnt happen very often 3 times in the 20 years I have been living here but it buys a lot of good will.

So I would suggest if you do buy it make sure you make friends before you start building.............. and definately do not tell them you plan first....... they will object and think you are mad. When they have met you and like you
they will just think you eccentric!!

I now leave the main door of the garage open most of the time I am building
people like to see your project progressing.

Problems with Neighbours

You can end up with a lot of problems with neighbours. Mine could not stand a leaf blowing into his backyard, let a lone dimpling and riveting. I found to keep him happy I could only make banging noise on a Saturday when he worked. Mind you he was not keen about lawnmowers, Power tools of all varieties, talking and even the smoke and smell of a BBQ. So to minimise the angst as much as possible I decided on the DRT2 dimplier. Great decision, it is not only quiet but works superbly. You might want to consider it. I don't have access to a photo of my own at the moment so here is one off the web".

DRT2.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Sounds like your neighbour is the one with the problem. I think you've been far more than reasonable!

I live on a .5 acre lot and work with the door open at all hours of the night in the summer. I always felt that the distance was far enough away but my wife was always very concerned. Another consideration of course is that you must have something to listen to for all of those hours. For me it's Howard Stern at a volume loud enough to hear over the compressor and saws. No complaints in my first year. Idk if it's great neighbors or not that loud at the lot line.

....My gut feeling is to pass this place up and keep looking. Thoughts?

It's certainly worth meeting the neighbor. Who knows - perhaps the place is for sale because the neighbor made too much noise building his own RV.

But be spring-loaded to move on.

Dave

Build a second soundproof wall that does not touch the existing common wall and insulate it, build and enclosure for the compressor and insulated it. Build your plane and forget about the neighbor. BTW, you might also want to double insulate the ceiling also. I can't imagine that the noise would make it through.
Bill

You can always say "metal work" or "working in the garage with power tools" or somesuch before saying "Hi, I build planes!" the first time you meet them. :)

The sound of a rivet gun caused a neighbor to introduce himself to me and I had an instant bucking partner. Not to mention cocktails at 5.

JB was a retired guy that turned out to become one of the best friends I have ever known. Little did I know that he was slowly dying of prostate cancer at the time. I got the a chance to spend about 1,000 hours with a great guy. His wife told me after he died, helping to build the plane probably helped him live another year or two longer since his biggest joy in those last few years was looking forward to help build.

I hope you get so lucky with one of your neighbors.

Sound proofing

I too was worried about the neighbours, so I built a box for the compressor, put old carpet on the walls and insulated the door. I also used a DRT2. I only rivet during the day when most neighbours are out.
I let them know they could ask me to keep the noise down and the only reply I've ever had was that they had never noticed. Outside the garage with the door closed the rivet gun noise actually isn't very loud.
Most know who we are on the street as we're the ones building the plane.

Peter

Same type question

I will be moving into an apartment in 2 weeks for about 9 months or so waiting for Navy housing. Top floor, so only one below. Will have a storage garage with a single 110 outlet. Was thinking of starting the EMP in apartment...or should I wait?

I will be moving into an apartment in 2 weeks for about 9 months or so waiting for Navy housing. Top floor, so only one below. Will have a storage garage with a single 110 outlet. Was thinking of starting the EMP in apartment...or should I wait?

Wait on nothing. Everyone is always waiting on the right time. If you can buy it, build it. If I waited on the right time I would still be Wife-less, child-less and still wondering how I am going to buy my first Subway. Instead I am building my 3rd. 9 months will be here wheather you like it or not. Might as well have an empennage to go with it. So go for it!!

I completed my emp in a 2nd floor apartment. Believe it or not, regular riveting is not too loud outside your own apartment. Back riveting or dimpling with a C-frame, on the other hand, is very disturbing to the people below you because the force goes directly through the floor. The riveting is mostly high frequency so it doesn't seem to get through as many walls. The air compressor I think made quite a racket both for being loud and vibrating while sitting on the floor.

I didn't ask for permission, just forgiveness after my downstairs neighbors first complaint. He actually thought it was cool and wasn't too upset. I just told him if I ever bothered him to let me know and I'd do it at a different time. Worked out great.

Now I'm in a town house with a one-stall garage. My neighbors garage shares a wall with mine. The only thing that can be heard in my house is the air compressor which is a low hum. I would imagine they can't hear anything in my neighbors house. Either way, no complaints. Just be amicable about the noisy build hours (there really aren't that many loud ones) and build on!