Question for some experianced kit builders. A couple of wrecked RVs have recently hit the secondary market on ebay. To my knowledge and understanding of the rules, if an amature builder purchases a wrecked amature-built experimental, said amature builder is able to deconstruct, replace the damaged part(s) and reassemble the airplane to a like-new condition, and then have the plane inspected by the FAA for a new airworthyness cert, correct? Also, as long as all work performed (and the extent of work performed) is logged to show ones competence in that airframe and the airworthyness of that airframe should be enough to petition a repaiman's cert for that airframe as well, no? How would this be treated in the eyes of the FAA, would it be considered a "new build" by the builder, or a "rebuild" of the original builders names and serial number? My best-educated guess would be that depends on how much of the original airframe needed to be rebuilt....

Each FSDO is different. But, I think what you are describing would be looked on similar to a major repair and not a build. Thus, you would be keeping the original airworthiness. Otherwise you would have to "prove up" that you've just built over 51% of an airplane. You MAY do a complete rebuild of an EXPERIMENTAL wreck yourself (anybody can). Then you need to have an A&P sign a condition inspection. You may have to put it into phase one (logbook entry) for some time period to prove up repairs (flight test) or major mods. It's pretty easy to work with an A&P once a year for the condition inspection and you benefit from extra eyes checking your plane. There really isn't much point in trying to fudge yourself a repairman's ticket since the only extra authority it grants is to let you sign the condition inspection.

Dave hit it pretty good, from what I know of the issue.

Good luck if you go that route.

Good luck if you go that route.

Probably very unlikely. I would presume the amount of hours one would spend disassembling, figuring out what & how the original builder did what he/she did , and repair & replacement would overwhelm the amount of time it would take to start from scratch, obviously depending on the extent of the damage. I've noticed in the classifieds alot of preowned kits for sale, however the caveats "Almost complete" tend to be scary. I like to scrounge and look for deals...part of the fun...lol.

I bought a wrecked RV8 to rebuild. With the purchase of the wrecked airplane, rebuilt the fuse and bought wings and tail from someone who had completed them and wanted to get rid of them and had the whole airframe for about 12k. This did not include my time. Since it was already N numbered, I wanted to do the rebuild as when I sold it, I'm not the manufacturer of the aircraft. Simple logbook stating the repairs and on its way it went. All in all it was a fun rebuild and can't wait to build another!

Each airplane has ONE builder. If you rebuild the aircraft, it is a rebuilt aircraft. You CANNOT legally submit it for a new airworthiness certificate. This is FAA's interpretation given to DARs each year at our seminars.
Parts used from a wrecked airplane do not count as part of the 51%.
Not saying it hasn't been done. Just saying it is NOT legal!
Read FAA Order 8130-2G, section 9.
As far as individual FSDOs having different answers, it must be understood that a FSDO does NOT have the authority to override FAA's interpretation.

Last edited: