danielhv

Well Known Member
I know alot of ppl design websites etc for their building logs... I also know that these logs are required at some point in the end of the process... My question, is will JUST a website suffice? And if you do use only a website, will you have to print all the log entries someday?

Im considering using Wordpress (blog software) cause its free and easy... but I do not yet know the printing capabilities of it should I need to someday print the entire process if required.

So I figured I'd ask here before i got too carried away... here is what I have so far:

http://www.danielhv.com

I know alot of ppl design websites etc for their building logs... I also know that these logs are required at some point in the end of the process... My question, is will JUST a website suffice? And if you do use only a website, will you have to print all the log entries someday?

I don't believe that there is a requirement as to the media type. You just need to be able to share with the DAR or FSDO when appropriate. You could always take a notebook.

I use Kitlog. Although there are some features that I would like to see improved, there are several key features that I enjoy. The database is easily copied from one pc to another (i.e. simple backups). Matt hosts a web site for free that you can publish to with a few mouse clicks. Last, but not least, you can print and/or save reports. After every chapter, I dump to paper. A hardcopy version is the my method for continuity if my PC ever takes a dump.

Last edited:
Expercraft is similar to Kitlog, free website for posting your work. They both have limitations of 3 pictures per daily entry, but Expercraft allows much higher resolution of the pictures than Kitlog. I used both for a while and settled on Expercraft for mine, it's easier (IMHO) to work with, more intuitive and I like the ability to store higher resolution pictures. They both allow you to export the entire log to paper or PDF files, and track expenses as well as time spent.

Excel worked for me

I just used Excel to log each day's activity. Included on each day where hyperlinks to some pictures which where then exported to IE to be printed. The results were first rate and the FAA guys loved the 3" ringbinder of text and pictures enough to pass it around the office before I left.

You can get a sample of from this page of my web site.

I don't believe that there is a requirement as to the media type. You just need to be able to share with the DAR or FSDO when appropriate. You could always take a notebook.
A hardcopy version is the my method for continuity if my PC every takes a dump.
This is correct!

Im considering using Wordpress (blog software) cause its free and easy... but I do not yet know the printing capabilities of it should I need to someday print the entire process if required.

There is a plugin for Wordpress that will allow you to dump everything to pdf file and eventually print it out if there is a need.

Although my personal opinion is that unless you end up with computer shy inspector web form is much nicer as you can use tagging and search to quickly find things you need.

There is a plugin for Wordpress that will allow you to dump everything to pdf file and eventually print it out if there is a need.

Although my personal opinion is that unless you end up with computer shy inspector web form is much nicer as you can use tagging and search to quickly find things you need.

excellent! Im really happy with the endless features of wordpress so far. THanks for the help!

Mel, check me please.

There is no actual statutory requirement for a build log. A build log is suggested in the DAR AC guidance as a method of establishing 51%, but anything or nothing is fine if the DAR is satisfied about who built the airplane.

True or false?

A friend of mine built an RV-10. His "build log" was a stack of construction plans with hand-written notes on them. He said he showed those plans and that was sufficient.

build log

I guess I'm not very sophisticated but I'm just writing down what I do everyday
in small note books - the date and about how many hours I worked.

I've already filled up 2 or 3 small note books for the tail & wings.

I also have taken tons of digital photos along the way. Once in awhile my wife comes out to the garage and snaps of picture of me working.

I hope this is enough to satisfy the inspector.

Dave
working on RV9A fuselage

Builders log

This is correct!

Mel,
I have been checking off, dating, hours involved, using the builder's manual as I proceed. I mean every sentence, paragraph. I also have a couple of hundred photos, and of course my 'box' of receipts. Would that be acceptable documentation to qualify for the 'builder's certificate' or do I need to transfer all of that to a builder's log book?
Thanks in advance,
Mike H 9A/8A

Mel,
I have been checking off, dating, hours involved, using the builder's manual as I proceed. I mean every sentence, paragraph. I also have a couple of hundred photos, and of course my 'box' of receipts. Would that be acceptable documentation to qualify for the 'builder's certificate' or do I need to transfer all of that to a builder's log book?
Thanks in advance,
Mike H 9A/8A

You aren't alone. Many others have done the same. There is no requirement as to the format of the builder's log. You just have to be able to convince the DAR or FSDO that you did the work and you know what you are doing.

I know of some that were disappointed when it was time to review the log, the DAR/FSDO rep spent just a few seconds flipping through the log. There is probably two ways to interpret this. One is that the individual was too lazy to read the logs, or that you already had convinced him through all your other interactions that you have your act together.

The only advantage to creating a more elegant log document would be at resale time, if you should chose to ever sell your RV. A better organized log may come across in a more positive manner.