zer0tweets

I'm New Here
Myself and a few folks working on a project to build a hybrid electric power plant for an RV-10. We are looking at UL520T as the prime mover. Having done some calcs we think it's realistic for it to rival IO-540 in terms of performance.

Specifically:
  • Comparable size, but sightly lighter and quieter than IO-540 (should fit RV-10 engine bay)
  • 10 minutes of burst power of 400hp+ using either a battery or a combination of battery and super capacitors
  • 10% improved fuel economy and compatibility with Mogas fuel
  • Emergency backup power storage system in case of engine failure
  • Improved high-altitude operations because of the properties of UL520T
  • Similar price point as IO-540

1723163651343.png

We have a lot of experience building gensets and hybrid powertrains, but never actually built an RV-10 kit ourselves. Looking for folks with relevant experience to consult us along the way (or, equally useful, explain why what we are doing is stupid and can't work). Will take any free advice, but would also be willing to pay for the help to whoever is willing to dedicate time to work with us.

Things to consider:

There is not much room aft of an io540. Not familiar with the UL dimensions.

The temperature inside the cowling may be inhospitable for a HV battery, especially a lithium one under a load.

Cooling. This can be an issue for an io540 under normal circumstances. How would cooling the electric motor be handled and how would it affect the cooling of the ICE?

Where would you put the motor controller and how would you cool it?

What kind of charging system would be needed to keep the battery useable?

The cowling on the -10 is pretty tight, what kind of extra space will you need?

Weight and balance. Realize that everything you load in an Rv-10 tends to move the cg aft. How much extra weight will be added to the UL engine with the addition of the HV battery, electric motor, controller, and all required cabling? If you end up with more effective weight forward, you will need ballast when flying light weight.

Just some things off the top of my head.