panhandler1956

Well Known Member
;)Building habits of a domesticated homo sapien
or
Sleep deprivation brought to you by Vans

I thought I would reflect a little on my slightly unorthodox building habits. I get up very early almost every day to work on the airplane before 'real work'. My routine involves a 04:30 a.m. alarm which usually yields a 05:00 a.m. start after feeding the horses. I spend an hour to an hour and a half working before I break for the salt mine.

You might think that it would be hard to get anything done in such a short amount of time so early in the a.m., but since I work almost daily, I can usually pick up right where I left off. This makes for very little wasted motion in terms of remembering where I am and promotes project continuity. In fact, when I go on vacation or I'm otherwise off the project for more than a couple of days, I feel lost! On weekends I can usually get quit a bit more accomplished (sometimes 4 or 5 hour sessions) and I work more into the day so the kids can help, etc.

So why do I choose to use the 'dawn patrol' method to build my plane? Mostly because I'm a morning person and I like the consistent routine, but also because I committed to my family of 5 that I would do my best to minimize the time impact of the project. The agreement I established initially with my wife was to begin construction when my youngest daughter, Mary, turned 4. I actually started when she was 2 so I essentially got a jump on the original timeline by using the sleep deprevation method! For me that has worked out good thus far. I will clearly have to make adjustments once I move the project to the airport, but for now I enjoy the sense of accomplishment I get from making progress before most people even start their day. In fact on days I play hookie from the project I'm a little agitated with myself for not getting my fix and not having the discipline to make myself get up.

So how have I done? Well I'm almost 900 hours into it and according to the calendar I started the project exactly 841 days ago. So that gives me an average of 1.04 hours per day. Not blazing fast, but certainly steady. I am currently working on the fuselage and it's just past QB stage. I have should have mentioned that my RV-8 is a slow-build.

I envy you single guys who have virtually carte blanche when it comes to your personal time and I realize some of you married guys have this luxury as well. For me it comes down to keeping the airplane from being a burden to my tribe so it stays fun and doesn't turn into a competing priority.

This method isn't for everyone, but I thought I would share my experiences in case someone was considering building, but is discouraged by the time issue. Also it would be fun to hear how other folks manage this. Better sign off, I'm getting sleepy....;)

Last edited:
Brent

Steady work and perseverance is what it takes to finish a kit.

My advise to anyone building is to do "something" every single day. Even if it is only studying the plans or getting the AC $pruce catalog out for a parts order---do something.

It's kind of like jogging or any other exercise regimen---skip one day and the next one is easier!;)

Similar Methods

Brent,

I am 1750 hours in to a slow build RV-9A (very much on the down hill slope with first flight expected this spring) and the vast majority of them were spent prior to heading to the office. I live in Richmond VA, in the city, and rented two adjacent garage spaces around the block from my home. So my routine was to get up and out of the house by 0700, be at the shop by 0705 and work until about 0820, then head to the office.

I am fortunate enough to be able to set my own schedule at the office so lunch hours were mostly spent in the shop too with a sandwich at the desk afterward. Also, I usually got an hour in after work before heading home. With this sort of discipline I managed, on average, 2.5 hours per week during the work week and usually got 4 hours or so in on weekends.

The guys at Van's told me more than once, "touch your project every day". I will add to that, Patience is a Virtue and Progress is Incremental!

All the best,
Ray

I work from home. When I am in the groove, I can usually put in a half hour before work, 30-45 mins at lunch, then another hour before the wife gets home from her job.

Sometimes I can sneak in another hour later in the evening.

My office is right next to my shop, so I can go get a little fix between conference calls, etc.

I don't get to do that every day, but those are my happiest days.

Brent has a good method to work early. Mind and body are fresh and most productive. I should try it.

I have about 3 hours of free time every weekday. But working in New York City, stressful commute before and after work make those hours of little use. Difficult to concentrate on a task and keep the focus. Especially when major airframe work is done where lots of physical exsercise was involved. Now the mental part -wiring, panel, fiberglass:D and so on. I should try to work early mornings. Now it looks like project is not moving at all. And I am near Her Majesty every day.

Brent. That's a great idea. The wife and the kiddo are both asleep. No interruptions! I get up before anybody else anyway.

I'm with you Brent. I'm up everyday at 3:50 and out to the shop by 4am. It's not always easy but it can be done. This habit / addiction has got me an average of 1000 hours per year. All the while never missing a soccer game, dance, swimming, or any other family event.

Remember it's easy to talk about what your going to do tomorrow or what you wish you had done yesterday but today is the only thing you can do anything about. Get out there!