Magnum

I'm New Here
I am posting this to encourage those builders among us who may be thinking they have bitten off more than they can handle.
I have been struggling for the past year with my empenage and a quick build RV-7A kit. I had no experience with sheet metal work before I jumped into this RV world of kit building. I was thinking of selling the kit when it occurred to me to get some building instruction from an experienced builder.

I hired Noel Simmons of Blue Sky Aviation to teach me what the heck to do.
Noel flew out to my shop, (Yes I said he came to my shop) and he spent several days teaching me the ins and outs of RV kit building, He taught me how to use my tools, several ways to rivet that I had never heard of. How to drill out a rivet, and not be afraid of making some mistakes here and there.
I did the work, and Noel made certain I was doing it right and in a logical order. I made Months of progress in just 1 week. It is amazing! :)

Anyone who has ordered a quick build kit must understand how frustrating it is to know where to begin. Vans' does not tell you where in the instructions, the quickbuild kit work left off and where you must begin! As a matter of fact it is not simple at all. You must jump forewards and backwards in the instructions to finish the parts that the quickbuild leaves out.

I am excited again about my project! I feel now, that I can finish this monumental task! One day at a time. So, if you too have a box of parts in your garage and don't know how or where to begin, you may want to consider asking Noel at Blue Sky, or any one of the several other builder assistance folks listed here at Vans Airforce for help.

RV-7A QB

Welcome !!!!

Carson, welcome to VAF:)

Good to have you aboard.

Good tip, thanks for sharing it-------maybe others in the same boat can benefit from your experience.

If you havent already done so, I strongly suggest you join a local chapter of the EAA.

Noel Rocks

I am super happy with Noel's instruction too. I would like to point out that he is an advertiser on VAF as well.

Hans

Standard or QB kit, if you're a noob or green builder having some startup help is imperative. Synergy Air in Oregon or the outfit in Georgia (can't remember their name) is well worth the money and time spent. At least find a local builder and get their help!

Alexander Technical Center

The outfit in Georgia is Alexander Technical Center. I did my empennage there and it was a great way to learn the basics. I don't know if I would have ever gotten off of square one if I had tried to learn it all on my own.

Three years later and nearing completion I still learn new things every day and still get those days where I wish I had skilled assistant to help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carson - I'm in Midland as well, working on my wings for a 9A. Anytime you have a question, give me a shout and I'll be happy to help you out.

PM sent with contact info.

Noel Simmons Builder Assistance

I hired Noel Simmons of Blue Sky Aviation to teach me what the heck to do.
Noel flew out to my shop, (Yes I said he came to my shop) and he spent several days teaching me the ins and outs of RV kit building, He taught me how to use my tools, several ways to rivet that I had never heard of. How to drill out a rivet, and not be afraid of making some mistakes here and there.
I did the work, and Noel made certain I was doing it right and in a logical order. I made Months of progress in just 1 week. It is amazing!
Carson Hicks
RV-7 QB

When I first met Noel he showed me around his shop at Lewiston Montana and the projects he was working on. At the time I was fying an RV-6A (which I did not build) and was in the middle of an RV-10 build. I was very impressed with both Noel and his operaration. He is a really nice guy. If you get his help it will be money well spent.