Kokemiller

Well Known Member
here is my scenario-
I'm building a 9a, tail and wings are done, fuse arrived 2 weeks ago. I'm flying a piper colt with a freshly overhauled o-235, about 120hrs on it so far. I chose the 9 because I would have option to use my little lyc in it. The colt also has a full gyro panel as well as a very good nav/com, vor, and transponder. I am considering putting all of this in the 9a but have gotten some advice from other builders in the area that I wont be happy with the low power. To buy all this new would be a lot more than my colt is worth but I dont like the ethical dilema of taking a good flying plane out of service. I've gotten a lot of good advice on this site and look foreward to hearing from everyone.
thanks
Kelley Kokemiller

There are a lot of experienced RV builders in Boone. The quality of work that comes out of the EAA shop there is unmatched anywhere. The 0-235 would be greatly underpowered for a -9A. Sell or keep the Colt as a great flying machine, and build something that will set your hair on fire. Look closely at an 0-360, you only live once. ;)

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat

I'm building a 9A in Cedar Rapids (but not in a big fancy hangar like you are!! :p). I have a Beech Skipper with an O-235 in it. The Skipper is 2 seats, side by side, low wing, aluminum.... kind of RV-like. It is 1680 # max which is only a bit lighter than the RV.... but it is certainly a lot more draggy.

I briefly thought about moving the engine over to the RV but I didn't want to disable 0.5% of the US Skipper fleet, and I don't think I'd be happy with the performance. So I'm going with a rebuild-it-myself O-320, probably 150 HP to burn car gas in future.

The lower fuel burn of the O-235 is sure tempting though...

On the other hand, it might be cool to have 2 flyable airplanes!!!

I'm not building in the w&c aircraft works hanger, I have a shop at home I'm doing to most of the work in, but I do make frequent visits for advice often. My wife says thats exactly what will happen, 2 flying planes, but money is a major consideration.
than,ks
Kelley

Building an RV

I also owned a flying aircraft, a very nice Cessna 170, while I built my RV6 so I could keep currant while building. I never considered stripping the C170 but I was going to sell it to buy an engine and other expensive items very similar to what is being discussed here. That did not happen. I continued building with out of pocket cash, found a good deal on an engine and, after a fashion, I unexpectedly had a completed RV6 AND a very nice Cessna 170A both in my hangar and both debt free.

That was in October 2004. All my effort since has been in completing Phase 1 testing and enjoying the vastly improved performance of the RV6. After owning the Cessna for 30 years it was pickled and basically stored.

This summer I again put the Cessna into the air and, although, it is a fine flying machine and in impressive condition for its 50+ years of age, it now performs like an overloaded underpowered truck in comparison!!! Owning two airplanes is not the answer when one is an RV!!! My Cessna is on the market now and I am flying it periodically only to be able to demo it to perspective buyers. The RV6 is a much better flying airplane and is my real airplane.

My suggestion is to keep building, do what is needed to complete your project, but sell your "spam can flyers" when the RV's are done. You won't be happy with them after the RV's first flight.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD
Cessna 170A N9007A FOR SALE
Northfield, MN