Jim P

Well Known Member
I'm on vacation to Maui the end of August for a week. Anyone building on the island? Anyone have a recomendation on a repuatable flight service for a rental?

Jim

I'm sure if somebody was building on Maui they'd have lots of bucking help from visiting haoles. I'll be over there in the Spring, so let me know what you find out on both accounts.

I rented a 172 with an instructor at Maui Aviators a few years ago. We flew around the north end of Maui, across the channel, along the cliffs of Molokai, did a touch and go at Molokai, across to see the shipwrecks on north shore of Lanai, back around the south end of Maui. Incredible flight! The instructor handled the radios and pointed out the sites and I flew the plane. My wife is not a comfortable flyer, but she said this was the best flight she's ever had.

Just got back

We just got back from Maui two weeks ago. While driving to the hotel I said, "I wonder if there are any RV builders here I can visit." My wife then gave me THE look to which I responded, "Just kidding dear". :D

Have a great time!

Last edited:
Rent a plane!

Did the same thing while on Oahu...basically the same sights, but then back to HNL from the north shore, directly over pearl harbor & the Arizona. Wow.

A pilot visiting Hawaii -must- do this. Bring along a local instructor to handle the radios, be a tour guide, and let him fly while you look.

Pics here

http://tinyurl.com/pwjzf

I rented a yellow 172 from maui aviators too. Really cool flight! I flew with a CFI and had two friends in the back. I flew the whole time and he pointed out the sights. I highly recommend it!

I've rented with Maui Aviators twice. Highly recommend. The guys are very knowledgable of flying the islands. Price is right as well. I did hook up with Greg Grigson, RV-6A builder and pilot who lives in Honolulu. He flew over to Maui and took me for a flight around Maui. See my Pics. I did give him some fuel money but probably not enough (Thanks, Greg). His email is available here on the forums.

Rick Schwandt
RV-9A Fuselage
www.rjsflyer.com