Phantom30

Well Known Member
Gentleman.....and Ladies

I've finally got my tools on order and empennage/wing kits coming. My question is....what works best regarding "builders log". I will be doing my -12 as an e-lsa kit; however, want to be able to verify 51% done by me.

I'm reasonably computer literate.

Thanks....Ric

The minimalist view : Check off/initial each step in the plans as you do it. Sign and date each page. Take plenty of pics. That makes for a perfect log that doesn't take any of your time.

In reality, your build log and pictures will be worth more to YOU than anyone else. If you built 51% of the project, the DAR will know you did in a very short period of time during your inspection. :) I would not worry to much about it.

Several possibilities

First, welcome to the circus. As to documentation, take your pick. Bill_H has already noted one method. A lot of builders are using KitLog software, with mixed reviews. An archive search will bring you up to speed on that. Others use one of the image hosting services such as SmugMug.

Since I'm not concerned with posting my log on line, I've chosen to use the tables function in MS Word. It's free and I already have it. For each individual work date I create a table format for the text entries, then paste photos immediately below that in a separate table. The pages are set up in 17 by 11 landscape, same as the instruction manual. I can dump it all onto a flash drive and have it printed out if I wish. Once I got the routine dialed in, it's easy enough to use. At the end of each day it only takes me about 20 - 30 minutes to record the day's events.

The question you need to answer is whether you want a showpiece logbook or if you want a builder's log that proves you built the airplane.

I was of the "get 'er done" mindset and just used little disposable (film) cameras to record the progress of my project. I left one of those in the shop 24/7 and made pictures as I saw necessary. At the end of the project, I had 250 or so pictures, which was plenty of proof for the DAR.

Why be concerned about the 51% rule if you are building ELSA? I use Kitlog, it works fine for me. However if you want to post a lot of pictures some other method may be in order.

I started with Kitlog then abandoned it for a simple Excel spreadsheet. Turned out the FAA guy never asked for it.

I have used KitLog for two years now and love it! When dog tired after a day of building, it only takes a couple of minutes to update it. The value is mostly to me, but many others follow me daily as well. Take a look at mine for a sample, click on it below.

Why be concerned about the 51% rule if you are building ELSA?

That was exactly my sentiment when I started, but my Tech Counselor, Dave Prizio, suggested I create a log appropriate to an E-AB project even though my course was set for ELSA, just on the outside chance I might change my mind before the end game. It sounded like a good idea considering how rapidly technology is expanding, especially in the experimental segment, and the introduction of so many innovative products. I didn't think it was far-fetched at all. If it turns out I do license the plane ELSA after all, so what? I'll have a nice coffee table book to commemorate the project.

The coolest thing about build-your-own-aircraft...everybody gets to do it their own way.

I use an Excel spreadsheet as well with three columns. Date, Task Description, and hours. With the RV-14 I have under construction, this will be the 9th RV I've built using it. With the first 8, the FAA inspectors have asked if I had a construction log. Only one took the time to review it. All of them have asked to see some construction pictures with me in them.

I obviously did a lot more with my blog than was strictly necessary even if I did decide to go the E-AB route, but as said above: it depends on what you're trying to do with it. Blogger is free and relatively easy to use whether you're doing bare bones evidence gathering or, as I was doing, sharing the experience with friends/relatives. The beauty of the blog is you can continue with it once you're done with the plane and flying it to interesting places.

Good Idea!

I always recommend a good builder's log, even if you intend to go E-LSA.
There's a real chance that somewhere, during the build, that you will decide that you want to make a small mod that would is much easier to make now than later. There are absolutely no negatives to having a good builder's log.

That was exactly my sentiment when I started, but my Tech Counselor, Dave Prizio, suggested I create a log appropriate to an E-AB project even though my course was set for ELSA, just on the outside chance I might change my mind before the end game. It sounded like a good idea considering how rapidly technology is expanding, especially in the experimental segment, and the introduction of so many innovative products. I didn't think it was far-fetched at all. If it turns out I do license the plane ELSA after all, so what? I'll have a nice coffee table book to commemorate the project.

The coolest thing about build-your-own-aircraft...everybody gets to do it their own way.

Exactly my sentiment.....

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I like the "blogger" method and sign off plans w/pictures approach. I have far flung family....and desire to share this "adventure" with all!

Looking forward to interaction with you all....I've been a lurker for several years. The -12 has finially made it to the top of the bucket list.

Oh, besides initialing steps and signing/dating each page of the plans as completed, plus taking pictures, I did keep a very simple excel sheet for the hours I worked (and costs). I coded them by the sub-kit ( e.g. Wings, Fuselage - but not down to the page level!) On an RV-12, there is no more comprehensive and detailed list of activities and tasks than the plans themselves.

I also kept a Facebook album for friends. Not detailed, just comments on each pic showing typical tasks and progress.

Blogs like Marty's and Dave's were HUGE factors in my initial decision to build a -12 so my hat is off to them and others that make such very useful blogs for us. But that wasn't something I wanted to also do.