szicree

Well Known Member
I suppose this question is mostly for the DAR's in the group. What is the least that I can get away with in regard to keeping a log? I started this project back in '99 and up until about a year ago have kept a very detailed account of what I did, when I did it, and how long it took. Recently though, I'm doing so many little tasks whenever I can find time that it's a giant pain in the butt to keep track of dates and times. I really have no interest in knowing the exact number of hours it took to build so I'm just wondering what the DAR will expect me to have. If it were up to me I'd throw the log away and just build. So what do I have to have?

You need a chronological log showing what you did. Great detail and/or hours is not necessary. You will need pictures of the building process with you in some fo the pictures. The sole purpose of the builder's log is to show that the aircraft was amateur-built. And to show that you were the one who built it for the repairman's certificate.
Mel...DAR

Builders log

My 'builders log' is the Van's instruction pages in a 3-ring binder, and I've just been noting the date that I complete the items in the margins. I've got lots of pictures - and I'm in some of them. I'm hoping that is good enough. My wife and neighbors can also 'testify' that I'm the one who has been out in the garage making all the noise :rolleyes:

Dennis Glaeser
7A - fuselage

Two FAA inspectors I spoke with over the phone both wanted to know if I had calendars.

They both sounded as if they preferred just seeing entries on a wall calendar. No detailed times etc. just what part was worked on.

Anything more was above and beyond the call of duty.