rightrudder

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to start on my RV-9A, and I don't feel the need to do some fancy electronic build log outside of what I post here.

Here's what I had in mind:

1) Composition book with handwritten, dated entries with hours logged per day

2) Three-ring binder for photos, color-keyed to the appropriate section of composition book

3) Envelopes for receipts, certificates, with a comprehensive price list for all components

Will this be sufficient? I'll subtotal the hours spent on each subsection.

Thanks!

That is pretty much what I had, and all my photos were on a disc not actually printed out. In addition, the plans sheets were notated when each step was completed------dated and signed.

My inspector was more interested in registration paperwork and weight balance than build records.

If you feel you will be going to a specific DAR, or FSDO, you might want to check with them as to what specifics they prefer.

Good luck with the build.

That is pretty much what I did. the main difference is that I took pictures digitally and logged them by date. I could find pictures by looking up the date the work was done. The pictures were named by aircraft section.

I did two things. Marked off each paragraph on the plans as I built and put down the date of completion for various sections, and took lots of pictures. The pictures all got uploaded to my photo sharing site, and I captioned them as I went along.

At my airworthiness inspection yesterday the DAR said he took a look at the website and that was good enough. Part of the paperwork is getting an affidavit signed and notarized that you completed 51%.

Document as much as you want, but in reality, the bar is set pretty low on what is acceptable build documentation.

I chose not to get into counting rivets or hours. At some point it just becomes a hassle and is meaningless in the big picture scheme of things.

There are a lot of different approaches - any of them will work. In my case, I just used an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of time and a column for "notes." Made it pretty easy to summarized the data by the major tasks and by month, etc.

FWIW, if you are ever thinking of using the build experience toward any part of the A&P mechanic certificate, it might be helpful, before you start accumulating time, to take into account Appendices A-D of part 147 and categorize the time spent along those lines as well.

Dan

builder log

I'm getting ready to start on my RV-9A, and I don't feel the need to do some fancy electronic build log outside of what I post here.

Here's what I had in mind:

1) Composition book with handwritten, dated entries with hours logged per day

2) Three-ring binder for photos, color-keyed to the appropriate section of composition book

3) Envelopes for receipts, certificates, with a comprehensive price list for all components

Will this be sufficient? I'll subtotal the hours spent on each subsection.

Thanks!

Doug
Mine is actually pretty close to your concept. It sounds like a lot of work but is easy.
1. Daily time is logged with notes in a binder. Hand written.
2. All receipts and other docs go into the binder as well. All tabbed. Receipts are scanned and backed up with photos.
3. Photos are taken daily and backed up to PC, on site backup and off site backup. I lost a drive once.
4. Time and notes are transferred to Excel once a week or so, printed and printed copies placed in the binder replacing handwritten notes. My handwriting is bad. More than once I couldn't figure out what the note said and needed to know. Excel doc is also backed up.
5. Excel info is copy and pasted to a Google blog with the photos after updating. See signature.

The Excel sheet has multiple tabs. Two tabs for each component track time and costs. Both total to a master tab so time and project costs are easy to see. It also has a complete inventory tab with shop location in case I forget where I put something when it came in. It's happened.

I have a second binder with all the OP drawings and install instructions. This one has all the tool manuals and other component install instructions. I also printed all the Service Bulletins for my model and filed them in the back.

Third binder is the Vans Manual but I actually have two. One is inside for evening review.

Good stuff, guys. I think I'll put the receipts in envelopes dedicated to specific categories, then put them in the binder later. I figure photos are on the camera memory card, in Photobucket, and here in the build thread, so I think I'm covered!

I just keep my receipts in the back of my plans manual. I use a three hole punch, and store them in chronological order along with any other paperwork I get (packing lists, tech counselor visits, etc.)