Phil

Well Known Member
This month I've been tagged as the presenter for our next EAA meeting. (This Wed night)

The topic is builder logbooks and I need to get my fact straight before I begin spreading false information.

I'd like to understand.

1) Any FAR requirements for keeping a builders logbook.
2) Any types of detail that might be required.
3) How the information is used at the DAR inspection.
4) How the information might be used beyond the DAR inspection.
5) Types of photos the DAR's require.

These questions are probably more targeted for Mel and Vic, but I'm open to any good information I can share with the rest of the builders.

Thanks!
Phil

photos

#5: types of photos- - don't do what I did. the dar liked all the photos- - literally hundreds of them, which I had printed out in color on 8.5x11. he asked that I put them in chronological order. I should have done this anyway, but didn't. they were arranged by major assembly (ie wings, fus, etc). this took hours to accomplish, and he never asked to see them again. kind of an excercise in futility.

I used the Expercraft free online builders log. I attached photo's to just about every entry. I printed as I went along and put all of the pages in a binder. The DAR looked briefly at the binder, commented that it was very complete. The FSDO inspector that issued my repairmans certificate looked at it fairly closely and was very impressed. Said it was the nicest she had seen.

Builders log

The builder's log is proof that you built the plane (vs. having someone else do it for you). There are no specific rules or requirements, it's whatever will convince your DAR. I had the Van's instructions where I'd written dates I'd completed things, and printed out a few pictures, particularly ones with me building something, and had lots of pictures on my computer. My DAR knew of me from fellow EAA'ers so he kinda glanced through the printed pictures, but he knew I'd built it.
When I went to the FAA for my Repairman's Certificate, the inspector originally wanted a copy of the Builder's statement which is part of the paperwork you fill out for the DAR. I called my DAR to get a copy, and he just called the inspector and told him to look it up on the FAA (employee only) website. I took the same builder log stuff I had for the DAR, but the FAA inspector never even looked at it.

As important as it is for the DAR for certification, the FSDO will also use it to determine your eligibility for a Repairman's Certificate. The Phoenix FSDO looked at all the pictures I had taken (over 1500 submitted on a DVD-ROM) and did not quibble over the fact that I had not kept a detailed (daily) log for the majority of the project and that the systems and FWF installation were logged on Kitlog, which they did not have the software for. Your pictures should demonstrate that you did the work - so pictures with yourself in the frame, details, errors and fixes, that kind of thing.

That said, I really enjoyed using the Kitlog software and I intend to use it when I start building a -10. It's a good way to chronologically order the pictures and it's not bad documentation for yourself when you've forgotten why, for example, you've circled three rivets with red marker. Were they to be replaced for being poorly set or were they temporary waiting for another assembly or even to be replace with a different type of fastener? A good log would solve the mystery.

Also, a note about the digital pictures. I kept all my pictures in a single folder. After 14 years, that folder has existed on several computers. Sometime, during the move from one computer to another, all the pictures got set to the same date - the date they were moved into the new computer. Fortunately, I numbered them so I knew the order but I could not recover the dates they were taken. On the next project, I will make the date and sequence part of the file name so that doesn't happen again.

Know your DAR

One great piece of advice you could pass on to your group would be for them to identify their DAR early and get to know him/her. Even if distance prohibits you from meeting them, call them and ask them what they want to see.
My DAR knew me, had seen my project casually over the years, and never asked once to view pictures or logs. He also filled out and submitted my application for the Repairmans Certificate which was then mailed to me without any need to visit the FSDO. Not sure if that is a rule change or what is up with that part of this.
My log was kept in the margins of the Van's manual. Pictures are scattered throughout my computer. Some day, I might actually organize them.

I'm using the Expercraft site for keeping the log, and make an entry EVERY time I enter the shop, with photos. I'm probably in the top 3 people on Expercraft as far as hogging up bandwidth and storage...:D

I also keep a binder (actually now up to 2 4" binders, one full and one about 1/3 full) with the current printed build log from expercraft (thumbnail photos, dates, work description) in the front section and chronological photos (full page color) in the second section. By looking at the build log with the thumbnails, you can easily page through the chronological full size photos and figure out when/where you are in the log. As of last night I've got 520 full size high-res photos so far, and I'm only 460-some hours into the build. My log will definitely have to go onto a couple CD's for the DAR.

My main thoughts on going overboard with the log were that it would be much easier to do it as I go rather than trying to put one together at the end, and if I ever need to open up the airplane for a repair (or sell it) the multiple detailed photos will come in VERY handy.